Beaten?

Arthur's POV

* I slowly stumbled down multiple streets of the town. My face hurt, bruised and bleeding. I had been beaten. I caught sight of Amelia and Compeyson looking at a dress in cased in glass. I overheard Amelia say*
Amelia: I hope you're not trying to sneak a peek at the dress.
Compeyson: It's not bad luck if you accidentally see it, is it?
* Amelia giggled pulling at Compeyson's sleeve playfully. I scoffed and said*
Arthur: Well, if it isn't the happy couple. What a fine pair you make. I'm deliriously happy for you.
* Compeyson gazed at me then Amelia. I walked faster as he caught up to me*
Compeyson: Who did this to you?
Arthur: You did... * I said walking away*
* Amelia hurried to Compeyson's side and said*
Amelia: How can I be happy while he walks the streets in such a state?
Compeyson: Don't worry Amelia. He has Y/n to take care of him...
Amelia: Oh yes, um speaking of have you heard the news?
Compeyson: News?
Amelia: Y/n and Arthur are smitten with each other.
Compeyson: Oh are they now...
Amelia: Hmm.
* I could hear faintly behind me Compeyson scoff and say*
Compeyson: This has gone far enough. Let me talk to him.

Y/n's POV

* My eyes fluttered open to see the light on the bed side still turned on. I sighed and raised my body from the mattress. I didn't know if Arthur came home the other night. And that irritates me. Before I could give the topic more thought Arthur stumbled through the door closing it and leaning against the wall, breathing heavily*
Y/n: Oh my, Arthur are you alright * I said rushing to his side*
* I held his cheek in my hand as I inspected his face*
Y/n: You-
Arthur: I was beaten...
Y/n: Oh, Arthur.
* I wrapped my arms around his waist and pulled him into a hug. He groaned in pain but endured it and returned the hug. I felt him rest his head on my shoulder and cry silently*
Arthur: I hate him... I hate him, I hate him. * He mumbled*
Y/n: I know, I know. Calm down Arthur. We need to treat your wounds.
* Arthur nodded his head and sat down on a chair, he took off his shirt and tossed it to the side. I found a rag and ran it through some warm water. After I finished rinsing the rag I knelt down before Arthur and dabbed his cheek with the rag, cleaning up the dry blood*
Y/n: When did this happen?
Arthur: An hour or two ago.* He said wincing in pain*
Y/n: I'm sorry, I truly am.
Arthur: It's okay, it's not your fault.
* I smiled and lightly ran the rag across his face cleaning up the access blood. Compeyson then burst through the door*
Y/n: Compeyson...
Compeyson: I knew it.
Y/n: I don't follow?
Compeyson: I told Amelia you'd take care of him. * He said slipping off his jacket*
* I stood up from my kneeling position and clenched my fist. Compeyson grinned as he noticed and hastily took the rag out of my hand. I scoffed as he moved behind Arthur*
Arthur: It's fine. Come here..
* I smiled weakly and leaned down, kissing Arthur's forehead*
Y/n: I'll never kiss you on the lips in front of him.* I mumbled pointing to Compeyson*
* Arthur giggled earning a questioning glance from Compeyson. Compeyson soon ignored it and started dabbing at an open wound on the back side of Arthur's shoulder. Arthur gazed at Compeyson and said*
Arthur: Hold your nerve. That's what you said, just a few weeks more.
Compeyson: Nothing's worth this. Look at you. Will you please tell me who's responsible?
Arthur: I was set upon for the few miserable pennies in my wallet. This is what happens when a gentleman is forced to live in a slum.
Y/n: You could have asked... * I said whispering *
Arthur: For what?
Y/n: You could have asked me for money. You already know my dad's rich. I could have supplied you with at least enough for a new meal...
Arthur: No, I could never ask that of you.
Y/n: You're too kind...
* Compeyson scoffed and rolled his eyes. He then snapped and yelled*
Compeyson: For the love of god, man. I have done only what you asked of me. Everything has been for you. This path we're on can only lead to further suffering.
Y/n: Hush, Compeyson.
Arthur: I will have my money, not from you, darling...
* I sighed and gave Arthur my hand. He smiled weakly and held my hand gently*
Compeyson: I believe we have underestimated your sister. She's a woman of rare intelligence and integrity. I doubt I'll be able to price more than the tiniest fraction of her fortune from her.
Arthur: You're admitting defeat? * He said with anger in his eyes*
Compeyson: I'm asking you to let me end this charade right now.
Arthur: And what of the debts I've incurred in your name?
Compeyson: If I can persuade Amelia to buy your share in the brewery, pay twice what it's worth even. I'm sure she would be amenable to the idea, if it meant saving you from this. You could settle all your debts. Raise yourself out of the gutter. Return yourself to the life you deserve. To the life of a gentleman. Just say the word and we can end this right now. Today.
* Arthur turned his gaze to look at me. I could tell he was having trouble deciding. I didn't want Arthur to continue this but he won't take my money and with all his debts it seems like the only way. I gave Arthur a nod in approval as he turned his attention back to Compeyson*

Compeyson's POV

* After I finished help clean up Arthur I left and walked to Satis House. Once I got inside I walked into Amelia's office and grinned slightly at the sight of her doing paperwork. She noticed me but I put my finger to my lips saying I speak first*
Compeyson: I begged him to let me pay off his creditors, but well. You know how proud your brother can be.
Amelia: I just don't understand how he's run up such a debt. What of his salary from the brewery?
Compeyson: A drop in the ocean. I'm afraid the only way he'll settle his debts is if he sells his share in the brewery altogether. Oh, but how can we let any part of your father's legacy leave the family?
* Amelia nodded her head 'No' as I clenched my jaw. There was a silence until Amelia furrowed her eyebrows and said*
Amelia: What if I were to buy his share?
Compeyson: It's a typically generous thought, but I can't see him agreeing to it. The current value of his share is still only a fraction of what he'd hoped to inherit. So unless you're willing to pay twice what it's worth.
* I took a few steps forward, now directly next to Amelia. Silence hung in the air again as she came to a decision*

Frances's POV

* I walked down the steps of my house as I saw Sir Leicester standing by the fireplace*
Sir Leicester: Forgive me for calling unannounced, but your note postponing our dinner gave no reason.
Frances: Alas, Sir Leicester, I'm afraid Miss Honoria has been called away to the country. A beloved aunt has been taken ill all of a sudden.
Sir Leicester: I'm most sorry to hear that. I trust it's not serious?
Frances: I'm afraid Honoria will be gone a few months, at least. I must tell you, though. She was most disappointed not to see you before she left, and she expressly asked to be kept in your thoughts. * I said lying *

Arthur's POV

* I sit in Amelia's office on a sofa waiting for her to sign a form so I get a larger share in the brewery. Compeyson stood beside me as Amelia and Jaggers talk*
Mr Jaggers: I urge you once more to reconsider. Your valuation is absurdly high.
Amelia: If I need your advice about legal matters, Mr Jaggers then I will consult you.
Mr Jaggers: And whose advice led you to this?
Amelia: I trust my own counsel. Thank you, sir.
* I glanced over the papers Amelia gave me explaining money amounts and the debts. I sat there in surprise and utter shock*
Mr Jaggers: I do hope so.
* I stood up as Jaggers handed me the last paper. The paper was an ink signed permanent check by Amelia. Right as me and Compeyson were about to leave I said*
Arthur: Amelia.
Amelia: Arthur..* She said leaving the room*
* Compeyson and I followed as she walked us out*
Arthur: Mr Compeyson? A word.
* Compeyson nodded his head and left Amelia's side to return to mine*
Arthur: Let her down gently.
Compeyson: Whatever do you mean? We're about to be married.
Arthur: You said this would be the end of it.
Compeyson: It is. For you. * He said grinning and walking away*
* I watched in fear and anger as Amelia and Compeyson walked off together into the distance*

A/n: Thank you for reading. Bye.