Chapter 3- The Council of Elrond

Jakan slowly walks along a path lining one of the many pools in Rivendell. It's been days since he arrived here.

For the most part, Jakan has kinda kept to himself. He's spent some time getting to know some of the other elves in Rivendell, but has spent more time practicing swordplay with a sword lent to him from Rivendell's armory for that purpose. However, it's very different in shape from the Darksaber, so Jakan knows it won't be the same wielding the Darksaber. However, he's reluctant to actually use the Darksaber, so as to avoid arousing any suspicions in the Elves with him using a weapon that by appearances is a weapon that would belong to an evil power.

Things have been rather calm in Rivendell since his arrival. Save for an incident just a few days ago in which Elrond's daughter Arwen arrived with a small humanoid creature apparently called a Hobbit, who had been gravely injured and required Elrond's healing abilities to recover, it has been calm.

Jakan walks up towards the library. He's spent a considerable amount of time in the library the past couple of days, taking time to read about Middle-Earth and its history, as well as it's geography and the various species to be found on it. To his surprise, for the most part, most of the sentient species are humanoids, such as Elves, Men (or humans as he knows them), dwarves, and a hideous, evil race known as Orcs. He's also read that several species of animal are somewhat sentient, but usually not on the level of the main sentient species.

As Jakan walks up to the door of the library, he suddenly hears, "Ho! You there!"

Jakan looks up and around, confused. Then, he sees an old bearded man dressed in a gray cloak and a gray pointy hat, holding a wooden staff, standing a few yards away, and looking right at him.

Jakan looks around to make sure there's nobody else that this man could be addressing. Then, he returns his gaze to the man and asks, "Yes, sir?"

The man slowly walks up to Jakan until he's just a few feet from him. "So, you are the one called Jakan, I assume? The who claims to come from a place known as Mandalore?" he asks.

Jakan just stands there for a moment, not sure what to think of this man. After a moment, he nods and says, "Yes, that's me. Can I help you?"

"You can stand there and let me look at you for a moment," the man says matter of factly.

The man looks him up and down a few times. Jakan, starting to feel like he's missing something here, asks, "Excuse me?"

The man ignores him for a moment. Then, he nods decidedly and says, "Yes! You are not lying, nor are you crazy! And you are not a servant of Sauron!"

Jakan just stares at this man, really not sure what to think of him. Then, he says, "Umm, thanks."

"You are most welcome," the man says. Then, he utters a small "Oh," as if he just remembered something he had forgotten. Then, he smiles more broadly and says, "Where are my manners? I forgot introductions. My name is Gandalf. Gandalf the Gray. And I am a wizard."

Jakan just stares at him for a moment, a few things about this Gandalf now making a bit more sense. Then, he nods his head respectfully and says, "Pleased to meet you, Gandalf. I am Jakan Shan of Mandalore."

"Yes, I know. Lord Elrond told me. I have some questions for you about your home. Perhaps you could answer them at another time," Gandalf says.

"I could do that," Jakan replies.

Gandalf grins. Then, he asks Jakan, "So, will you be attending the Council tomorrow?"

Jakan looks at Gandalf in confusion. "What Council?" he asks.