Chapter 19- Celebrations

Jakan watches as Eowyn walks up to Theoden, carrying a goblet of wine. Jakan is sitting on one of the many benches in the main hall of the Meduseld. The company that had travelled to Isengard had returned to Edoras the day before. Theoden had decreed that a feast be held to honor the dead. Jakan and the other three Mandalorians had gone with a hunting party earlier that day to hunt wild boar on the plains surrounding Edoras. The benefit of their blasts was that it didn't really harm the meat and could be used at greater ranges than arrows or spears. Needless to say, all four Mandalorians had enjoyed it.

Jakan glances to the side, where Gar, Fel, and Mirta are sitting, all holding mugs of ale themselves. Some of the Rohirrim had made it known that they found it strange for a woman to be attending the feast or participating in the toast. At least with Eowyn, she had a reason to be there to perform her duties, and as she had organized the feast. However, when Eomer heard this, he quickly came to Mirta's defense. He and some of the other leading Rohirrim, including Theoden, had gotten to know the new Mandalorians well, and connected well with all of them.

As Theoden takes the goblet from Eowyn and stands up, everyone else stands up as well, silently waiting for the king to speak.

Theoden takes a deep breath and declares, "Tonight, we honor those who gave their blood to defend this country." He then holds out his goblet and declares, "Hail the victorious dead!"

"Hail!" Everyone in the halls echoes as they hold up their mugs. Everyone then lifts their mugs to their lips and drinks the toast to the fallen.

As Jakan lowers his mug, he looks over at his three friends. "Well?" he asks quietly.

"I like it," Gar says in reference to the ale.

"Yeah. These Rohirrim make good ale," Mirta says.

With the toasting done, the night quickly shifts to the festivities. Within minutes, the Rohirrim are spread across the hall at the various tables, talking and laughing with each other as they eat and drink. The four Mandalorians spread themselves among the crowd, mingling with the Rohirrim.

Gar soon ends up at a table with Gimli, Legolas, and Eomer, drawn into a very interesting competition.

"No pauses. No spills," Eomer says as he hands mugs of ale to Gimli, Legolas, and Gar.

"And no regurgitation," Gimli says.

"So, it's a drinking game?" Legolas asks.

Gimli turns to the elf and says with a grin and a chuckle, "Last one standing wins." He then begins to down his mug of ale.

Gar looks to Legolas. "Cheers, elf," he says before he starts to down his own mug of ale.

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the hall, Mirta grins as she sits across the table from Gamling. "Anyone want to take wagers before I beat this guy?" she says, a little cocky. Several Rohirrim quickly take wagers.

Mirta extends her hand, resting her elbow on the table. Gamling does the same, and the two grasp hands. They grin as one of the Royal Guards serving as referee says, "3, 2, 1, begin!" And the arm wrestling contest begins.

As the two struggle against each other, across the hall, Jakan walks up beside Gandalf. After a moment of silence, he asks Gandalf, "What do you think Saruman meant by Sauron's greatest servant being my doom?"

"The greatest servant of Sauron is the Lord of the Nazgul, the Witch-King of Angmar. There is a prophecy that no living man can kill him. And he is a fierce warrior. If anyone on this world could kill you, besides Sauron himself, it would be the Witch King," Gandalf says.