Chapter 8- Shadow and Flame

The cave troll bellows loudly as it stomps into the chamber. Legolas, reacting quickly, fires an arrow into its shoulder, but it affects the troll about as much as a bee sting.

The troll raises his hammer, ready to bring it down on Sam. Jakan reacts quickly, raising his right arm and shooting a quick jet of fire from his right vambrace at the troll, who roars in anger.

Deciding it's time to use it, Jakan reaches back and draws the Darksaber from his jetpack, activating it as he flies up using his jetpack. Coming down towards the troll, Jakan brings the Darksaber down on the troll's hammer, severing the head of it from the shaft.

The troll looks at the now useless staff in confusion for a few moments as Jakan returns the Darksaber to his jetpack, not wanting to use it for too long. Then, the troll turns to Jakan and roars angrily.

Jakan quickly draws his two blaster pistols and fires several shots at the troll. The bolts strike the troll's skin, but only slightly scorch him. The troll tries swiping the broken shaft of its hammer at Jakan, who leaps back firing more shots from his blasters.

Then, several Orcs run up to him. Jakan guns two of them down, then ducks under the blow of one of them, drawing his vibroblade and driving into one of the other Orc's chest. He then whips around to face the last one and roasts the Orc's face with a quick jet of flame.

As this is going on, the troll is looking for other victims. It charges towards Gimli, who is now on the ground. However, Legolas fires two arrows into the troll's other shoulder, forcing the troll back and allowing Gimli to attack Orcs with his axes.

Legolas, now on a ledge above the floor, cuts down several Orcs with one of his fighting knives. Resheathing it, he sees the troll swinging the chain around its neck like a whip.

The troll lashes the chain at Legolas, but the elf easily dodges it. The troll whips the chain again, but this time the chain gets caught around one of the pillars next to Legolas. Using his foot to hold the chain in place for a moment, Legolas uses it to run over to the troll and onto its shoulders. He draws an arrow and fires it down at the troll's head, but the arrow doesn't penetrate the troll's hide, and the troll roars angrily, throwing Legolas off. Jakan races in and fires several shots from his blasters. One barely misses the troll's eye, and the troll roars in pain, flailing its arms around, causing Jakan to run out of the way. Several more Orcs rush up to engage Jakan, who whips out Hadhafang and beheads three of the Orcs all in the same motion. He then dispatches the other two with two quick strokes of the Elvish sword.

Seeing more Orcs rushing into the chamber, Jakan again sheaths Hadhafang, redraws his second blaster, and begins firing away into the ranks of the Orcs, trying to aim for their faces in case their armor is enough to deflect a blaster bolt.

As Jakan is killing the last of the Orcs trying enter the chamber, across the chamber, Merry, Pippin, and Frodo are up on the ledge when the troll spots them. Roaring angrily, it attempts to attack them, but they dodge aside.

The troll, wondering where Frodo went, tries pearing around a pillar that Frodo has hidden behind. As it goes to check the other side, Frodo shifts sides, again evading the troll. The troll, disappears, and Frodo starts to shift back to the other side, only for the troll to pop it head around and roar at him.

Frodo stumbles back, and the troll comes around to the other side of the pillar. The troll reaches out and grabs for Frodo. Frodo desperately tries to grab for anything, but can't seem to find anything substantial to hold onto. "Aragorn! Aragorn!" Frodo cries.

Across the chamber, Aragorn, caught up fighting an Orc, hears Frodo's cries, and sees what's happening a split second later as Frodo uses Sting to cut the troll's finger, forcing the troll to drop him. Desperate to protect Frodo, Aragorn races across the chamber.