Chapter 4- The Fellowship Departs

Jakan slides his gloves on, then turns to his jetpack. He slides onto his back and secures it in position.

It's the day after the Council in Rivendell, very early in the morning. The sun is just barely coming up, and it's still relatively dark.

Jakan picks up his blaster pistols and spins them a bit before sliding them into their holsters. He slides his rifle on his back, then slides his small knife into its sheath. He then picks up the Darksaber and slides it into its position on the inside of his jetpack. He then picks up his helmet and ties its straps (he installed them the previous night) onto his belt. He then looks around, making sure he has everything, then moves around to gather up several remaining items.

Finally, he's ready. He glances out the window at the hills surrounding Rivendell. It's time to set out. He finds himself reflecting on the events of the last week. He went from being sent to Coruscant to steal from the Emperor's Treasury itself to crashing on an isolated planet and volunteering for a quest to defeat a local dark lord. It made him wonder what his future was going to be like.

Suddenly, he senses something behind him. He turns back, and sees Elrond standing in the doorway.

"Lord Elrond," Jakan says in greeting. Elrond nods respectfully before stepping into the room.

"I have something to give to you, Jakan," Elrond says.

Jakan raises an eyebrow. Then, Elrond holds out, in both hands, a sheathed sword. It's hilt is somewhat curved. And, based on the sheath's shape, the blade looks somewhat like that of the Darksaber, with the tip somewhat curved out at the end.

"What is this?" Jakan asks.

"This is my sword. Hadhafang. I wish you to take it," Elrond says.

Jakan looks at him before slowly taking it. After a moment, he grips the hilt and quickly unsheaths the sword.

His eyes widen a bit. The sword is beautiful. He never thought he would ever be able to accurately describe any weapon as such, but to him, there is no better description. And, moreover, it feels right in his hand. Perhaps because it's somewhat similar in shape to the Darksaber.

After a moment, Jakan looks at Elrond and asks, "Why are you giving me this?"

Elrond looks at him seriously. "I know you have the Darksaber. But, I worry for you. Many you meet will take that as a sign you may be a servant of Sauron, for they will view it as a weapon of darkness. In that event, also possessing an Elven blade may soften such an opinion. I believe it will also be useful for you to have a second weapon, as I remember you telling me that the weapons you call blasters can only fire a certain number of times. Whether you have need for it or not, I am giving this sword to you," Elrond says.

Jakan looks back at the blade, admiring it. After a few moments, he recognizes the sound thinking of this. He also realizes a second advantage. In the off chance that the Emperor has spies on this world, or has the means to find this world, the less he uses the Darksaber, the less chance he has of being discovered, or alerting the Empire to the existence of Arda if they don't already know of it.

Jakan returns Hadhafang to its sheath, then attaches the sheath to his belt. It fits nicely against his waist. He looks back at Elrond and nods respectfully. "Thank you, Lord Elrond. I will see that your gift is well used."

Elrond nods, then says, "I have another gift for you. But first, my reason for doing so. I have been given the gift of foresight. At times, I am able to discern the future. I have been able to see that in your journey here in Middle-Earth, you will encounter a great enemy. One beyond your ability to fight right now. For that reason, I give you this."

Elrond reaches to his right hand with his left and pulls something away from it. He then holds out his hand to Jakan, revealing a ring in his palm. A gold ring set with a blue stone.

Jakan looks at Elrond in confusion. Elrond looks right into Jakan's eyes before he says, "This is Vilya. The Ring of Air. The greatest of the Three Elven Rings. And now, I give it to you."

Jakan is stunned, and his eyes go wide. "You are giving me one of the Elven Rings of Power?" he asks in stunned amazement.

Elrond nods. "Yes. I foresee that you will need it in order to face the great challenge that lies ahead of you. Use it wisely. Use it only when absolutely necessary. I promise you, you will know when the time has come to use its power," he says.

Jakan looks stunned, not sure what to do. Then, he slowly removes his left glove, before reaching out and slowly taking Vilya. He slides the ring slowly onto his left ring finger. As it slides onto his finger, he feels an amazing feeling sweep over him. Almost as if he's being filled with light.

He looks at Elrond and nods respectfully. "Thank you for your very generous gifts, Lord Elrond," Jakan says.

Elrond nods in return. Then, he says, "Come. The Fellowship will soon be departing." Jakan nods, and the two leave the room.

(An hour later)

Jakan stands with the rest of the Fellowship as they face Elrond and representatives from Rivendell.

"The Ring bearer is setting out on the quest of Mount Doom. And you that travel with him- no oath, nor bond, is laid to go further than you will. Farwell, hold to your purpose, and may the blessings of Elves, and Men, and all Free Folk go with you," Elrond says to farewell the Fellowship.

Several members of the Fellowship nods respectfully towards Elrond. Then Gandalf announces, "The Fellowship awaits the Ring Bearer."

Frodo slowly turns to the Fellowship, looking in the eyes of each of these people who have sworn to go with him and protect him. Then, slowly, but speeding up as he goes, he walks out of the gate, and out of Rivendell.

The Fellowship follows him out. Jakan walks alongside Gandalf, right behind Frodo. As they walk out, Frodo whispers, "Mordor, Gandalf. Is it left or right?"

"Left," Gandalf says simply, and the Fellowship turns down the left fork ahead.

The Fellowship climbs into the hills surrounding Rivendell. As they reach the highest point of the hills, Jakan pauses for a moment and looks back at the peaceful Elven settlement. Hopefully, one day, he will return.

Then, he turns back to the path, and looks out ahead of them, at the vast hills and plains ahead of them, and the peaks of the Misty Mountains in the distance.

Jakan smiles to himself a bit. The greatest adventure of his life has begun.