Vol. 5 Chapter 5: Early bird

Ruby lay on her back, on the balcony, looking up at the sky. The sun was rising and the birds were flying about. She watches a bird fly over head following it with her eyes. She looks above her to see Yang leaning over to look down at her.

Yang: "You're up early."

Ruby: (smile) "Hey sis."

Yang: "Boop."

The blonde lets her long hair dangle over tickling Ruby's nose. She giggles to her self. Ruby sits up so Yang can sit with her as they watch the sun.

Ruby: (sighs) "What are you doing up?"

Yang: "Can't fall back to sleep."

Ruby: "Ah, me neither."

Weiss: "Well, fortunately, coffee exists."

The sisters turn around to see Weiss gesturing to (Y/n) who is skillfully balancing five coffee mugs on different parts of his body. One in each hand, one on each elbow, and one on the top of his head.

Ruby: (snickering) "Don't we have trays?"

Weiss: "See that's what I said."

(Y/n): (wobbling slightly) "But this is so much more fun!"

Weiss takes the one on his left elbow rolling her eyes with a smile.

(Y/n): "Wait no! My perfect balance!"

He teeters a bit but Weiss rolls her eyes again, and takes the one off the right elbow as well, handing it to Yang. (Y/n) crouches down to offer Ruby the one on his head.

Ruby: "No, please!"

Weiss takes the mug off his head.

Weiss: "Don't worry, I put in blasphemous amounts of cream and sugar, just for you."

Ruby: "Oh yeah! Nice Weiss strikes again!"

Suddenly, Weiss pulls the cup away just as Ruby was about to grab it.

Weiss: "I will pour this on you and it will burn."

She hands the cup to Ruby, who nervously giggles. Weiss and (y/n) sit next to their teammates.

Yang: "Can't believe we're actually in Mistral."

Ruby: "That's what you can't believe?"

Yang: "Well, yeah! And all the other magic and stuff. But... Okay, you know what I mean!"

Weiss: "I honestly wasn't sure if I'd ever see you three again."

(Y/n): "Yah..."

Yang: "Well, here's to defying expectations."

Yang and Weiss clink cups together, while Ruby gulps her cup down in one go, opening one eye to glance at the two cups in (y/n)'s hands.

Ruby: "What's with the extra coffee?"

(Y/n): "Huh?"

He looks down to see he's holding two mugs.

(Y/n): "Oh... it's tea. I forgot we're not all here yet..."

He chuckles but it lacks any mirth. Weiss and Ruby frown at him but Yang scowls at the ground a bit.

Ruby: "I just wish Blake could be here with us."

(Y/n): "Yah..."

Yang: "Yeah, well, she made her choice."

Weiss: "What's that supposed to mean?"

Yang: (showing bitterness) "I mean she could've been here if she just stuck around. It's no big deal though. We'll be fine."

Ruby and Weiss have concerned expressions on their faces. (Y/n) doesn't speak.