27. I'm Not Dying For You

'Who are they?' Jon questioned nodding over to the men they were bringing to the wall. Tyrion put his book down looking over at the men.

'Rapers. They were given a choice no doubt' Tyrion said as three men were untied and brought next to the fire. 'Castration or the wall,' Tyrion told Jon 'most choose the knife...' Tyrion admitted and saw the horrified look on jons face 'Not impressed by your new brothers? Lovely thing about the watch you discard your old family and you get a whole new one.' Tyrion told him, going back to his book.

'Why do you read so much?'

'Look at me and tell me what you see.' Tyrion asked him

'Is this a trick?' Jon asked.

'What you see is a dwarf. If I had been born a peasant they might've left me out in the woods to die. Alas I was born a Lannister of Castlery rock. Things are expected of me. My father was the hand of the King for 20 years-' Tyrion reminded him.

'Until your brother killed that King' Jon remarked

'Yes.' Tyrion agreed 'until my brother killed him.' Jon sighed these people were not like him. ''Life is full of these little ironies.' Tyrion said 'My sister married the new king and my repulsive nephew will be the king after him.' Jon stared across at him 'But I must do my part for the honor of my house. Wouldn't you agree? But how?' Tyrion asked 'well my brother has a sword and I have my mind and I need books like a sword needs a whetstone, that's why I read so much Jon Snow.' Tyrion told him. 'And you? What's your story bastard?'

'Ask me nicely and maybe I'll tell you dwarf.' Jon said calmly. Tyrion laughed.

'A bastard boy with nothing to inherit, off to join the ancient order of the nights watching alongside his valiant brother in arms.' Tyrion told and Jon glanced over at the rapers they had picked up anxiously.

'The nights watch protects the realm from...' jon began.

'Yes yes' Tyrion agreed, '-against grumpkins and snarks. All the other monsters your wet nurse warned you about.' Jon's eyes flickered back and forth, maybe he was making a mistake. 'You're a smart boy you don't believe that nonsense.' Tyrion told him and Jon looked back over at his new brothers, 'everything is better with some wine in your belly too,' Tyrion said throwing him a pouch. Jon took a long sip.

+

'It's time to review the accounts my lady... do you want to know how much this royal visit has cost us?'

'Talk to Paul about it.' Catelyn said distractedly.

'Paul went South with Lord Stark my lady you need a new steward and there are several other appointments that require our meeting.' The maester went on.

'I don't care about our appointments.' Catelyn spat

'I will make the appointments.' Robb said 'we will talk about it first thing in the morning.'

'Very good my lord.' the maester said 'my lady.' He turned back to Catelyn before exiting

'When was the last time you left this room?' Robb asked

'I have to take care of him' Catelyn told him

'He's not going to die mother the master has assured us that the dangerous time has passed.' Robb assured.

'I do not care Brandon needs me.' Catelyn told him defensively.

'Rickon needs you,' rob corrected 'he is six he does not know what is happening he follows me around all day crying but he's scared and confused. He needs his mother.' the wolf started to howl outside