38. Red Queen

'Does ser hugh Have any family in the capital'

'No.' Ser Barriston said as ser hugh was sewn back together after a joust went through his neck at the tournament 'I gave a vigil to him last night he had no one else.'

'He never wore this helmet before.' Ned noted

'Bad luck for him going against the Mountain.'

'Who determines the draw?' Ned questioned

'All the knights draw straws.' Barriston told him.

'Who holds the straws? You've done good work sisters,' ned said as they cleaned up the dead knight.

'Life is strange not so many years ago we fought as enemies at the trident.' Barriston remarked.

'I'm glad we never met on the field Ser barriston.' Ned remarked.

'You are too modest I've seen you cut down a dozen red knights.' Barriston informed him.

'My father once told me you were the best he's ever seen. I never knew the man to be wrong about matters of combat.' Ned told him

'He was a fine man, your father... bad business with the mad king though it was a terrible crime.'

'That knight was a squire up until a few months ago... how can you afford a suit of armor?' Ned questioned as they walked.

'Perhaps his Lord had left him some money? I heard that the king wants to joust today.' Barriston remarked.

'That will never happen.' Ned remarked

'The king tends to do what he wants.'

''If the king got what he wanted all the time we would still be fighting a rebellion.' Ned told him

+

"Stop staring at me." Sandor grumbled. Alice walked towards him as he swatted away nurse trying to stitch up his wound. Alice extended a hand instead.

"I think I can handle Sandor." Alice remarked and the woman nodded leaving quickly.

"I'm fine." Sandor grumbled.

"I know." Alice assured.

"Stop smiling like that."

"I just hope that everyone sees you for you." Alice countered. "You saved that tiny knight."

"I didn't do it for him." Sandor told her.

"I know... but still." Alice remarked. Sandor glanced up as her as she cleaned out his cut.

"You got a gentle touch Alice." Sandor told her.

"Petyr says the same." Alice remarked softly. "Okay, little pinch." Alice said sticking the needle into his skin but he didn't flinch as she sewed him wound back together.

"You got something you want to get off your chest?" Alice hesitated looking to his eyes. "Come on, we're friends." Sandor agreed. "Friends can keep secrets."

"There is nothing to tell." Alice told him as she cut the suture running some water over it cleaning it off. Sandor stared at her, watching her lips twist.

"All done." Alice said staking a step back but Sandor grabbed her wrist. She swallowed the lump in her throat meeting his gaze.

"Thanks Alice." Sandor said softly as he let her go.

+

"Alice!' she spun around to see Ned running towards her. She couldn't do this now. She couldn't... "Alice have you seen Arya?" Ned asked running his hands up and down her arms.