29. A Loon

'His lungs and his heart all fried up but when you're 100 miles north of the wall if you ask me you leave nothing for the wolves.'

'And how do bears balls taste?' Tyrion questioned.

''A bit chewy. What about you my Lord what is the strangest thing you've eaten?' Tyrion just chuckled.

'Do dornish girl count?' Tyrion questioned. 'Ah Ranger Benjen... you wander the seven kingdoms collecting pickpockets and horse thieves bringing here?' Tyrion questioned.

'Well it's not all bad, some of them are just poor lads looking to be set free some of them are highborn lads looking for glory.' Benjen told them. 'The nights watch is important but you must think us a bunch of jesters and fools?' Benjen questioned.

'You don't have enough men to be an army.' Tyrion informed them taking a sip from his jug.

'You have plenty of stories to tell when you go back to Kings Landing when you're drinking your wine down there enjoying your brothels, half the boys you see training will die north the wall. Might be sickness might just be the cold they die in pain and they do it so plump little lords like you can enjoy afternoons of peace and comfort.' Benjen told him.

'Do you think I'm plump?' Tyrion questioned. 'Listen Benjen, may I call you benjen? I'm not sure what I've done to offend you I have great admiration for the nights watch and I have great admiration for you as a first ranger-' Tyrion told him.

'You know your brother once told me that nothing anyone says before the word but really counts.' Benjen said waiting for the But.

'But,' Tyrion added 'I don't believe that Giants and ghouls and white walkers are looking beyond the wall. I believe that the only difference between us in the wildlings are in that wall was built and our ancestors just so happen to live on the right side of it.'

'the Wildlings are no different from us, a little rougher maybe but they are made of meat and I know how to track them. I know how to kill them so the Wildlings give the slickest blades... you've never been north of the wall so don't tell me what's out there.' Benjen said getting up.

'You're going below?' Yoren questioned benjen nodded. 'Keep warm and keep safe.'

'Enjoy the capital' Benjen said leaving.

"I will." Yoren assured.

"Going below?" Tyrion questioned curiously.

"He will be north of the wall for a few moons."

"You are going to the capital?"

"It's were I collect most of my patrons." Yoren confirmed.

"Lets share the road, I could use some decent company."

"I don't usually travel the lavish life." Yoren remarked.

"Not with me, no one turns down a Lannister."

+

'Don't listen to it. Crows are all liars. I know a story about a crow.' Old Nan told Bran.

''I hate your stories.' Bran told her. "Alice told me stories of wonderland."

'I know a story about a boy who hated stories. I could tell you about Ser Duncan the Tall. Those were always your favorites.'

''Those weren't my favorites. My favorites were the scary ones.'' Bran corrected. "Alice told me she has to fight a jabberwocky next."

"Your aunt Alice is a bit of a loon." Old nan informed him.

"If she's a loon then what are you?" Bran spat back. "Her stories are at least real! Her monsters are real!"

''Oh, my sweet summer child. What do you know about fear? Fear is for the winter, when the snows fall a hundred feet deep. Fear is for the long night, when the sun hides for years and children are born and live and die all in darkness. That is the time for fear, my little Lord, when the White Walkers move through the woods.' Old nan told him and Bran smirked, a scary story.

'Thousands of years ago there came a night that lasted a generation. Kings froze to death in their castles, same as the shepherds in their huts. And women smothered their babies rather than see them starve, and wept and felt the tears freeze on their cheeks. So is this the sort of story that you like?' Old nan questioned and Bran stared at her taking a slow breath.

'In that darkness, the White Walkers came for the first time. They swept through cities and kingdoms, riding their dead horses, hunting with their packs of pale spiders big as hounds...''

'What are you telling him now?' Robb questioned

'Only what the little Lord wants to hear.' Old nan assured

''Get your supper. I want some time with him.' Robb said and she got up slowly and headed out. Bran watched Robb sit next to him. He hated being stuck in bed not being able to move his legs.

'One time she told me the sky is blue because we live inside the eye of a blue-eyed giant named Macomber.' Robb told him.

''Maybe we do.'' Bran suggested. "Alice goes to wonderland, talks to white rabbit and Cheshire cats, and flowers that have faces, who knows!" Robb chuckled he remembered believing in Alice's stories too when he was younger.

''How do you feel? You still don't remember anything?' Robb asked and Bran shook his head hesitantly. 'I've seen you climb a thousand times. In the wind, in the rain... A thousand times. You never fall.'

''I did though.'' Bran said softly 'It's true, isn't it... what Maester Luwin says about my legs?' Robb nodded ''I'd rather be dead.'' Bran spat.

''Don't ever say that.'

''I'd rather be dead.'' Bran repeated.

+

'Lord Stark.' Varys said, greeting him in the small council room.

'Lord Varys' ned greeted him. Varys clutched at neds hands

'I was very sorry to hear about the troubles you had on Kings Road, we are all praying for Prince Joffrey's full recovery.' Varys told him.

'Shame you didn't say a prayer for the butchers son,' Ned remarked, 'Renly you are looking well,' Ned remarked.

'And you are looking tired, you spent a long time on the road.' Renly remarked,

'But then we have a kingdom to look after.' Ned added. Ned looked around the group, as Petyr came in closing the door quietly behind him.

"Lord stark... please excuse my tardiness." Petyr said kindly. "Had to say hello to my wife."

"I kept Alice company on the way back, I'm sure she is tired from her travels." Ned offered and Petyr's face pinched. "Such a sweet woman, I don't know how you got so lucky Petyr."

"I am lucky." Petyr agreed, "there will never be another woman like Alice."

'I hungrily beg your pardon,' Maester Pycelle said

'grand Maester,' ned said pulling his gaze away from Petyr.

'How many years has it been? You are a young man.' Pycelle noted.

'And you served another king,' Ned reminded him

'Oh how forgetful of me,' he reached into his pocket pulling out the hand of the King pin, giving it to Ned.

'shall we begin?'