Part 17

#Damon

You know how we want a life partner that knows us like the back of their hand and all that? yeah well in this case I wished for the opposite. Amahle knew me all too well so this was not going to be easy at all and you know what sucks, I always randomly buy her junk but this time around I don't know why she's suspicious. How does she know??? She was standing there looking at me, but my wife was cute no doubt. Anyway I didn't know where to start, her look was confrontational; the kind that makes you spill it all. I put everything on the counter.

Her: so?

Me: what?

Her: don't play dumb with me Bess. What are you hiding from me? Does it have something to do with that file you were very secretive about that other day

I looked down. I was trying to figure out how to go about this?

Me: yes, it has everything to do about it. Please sit down Mrs Bess

Her: Damon just talk.

Me: Does the name Bill Gagashe ring a bell?

She seemed to think for a while.

Her: Bill Gagashe the most dangerous criminal in South Africa. The one who is all over the news?

Me: yes, him

Her: what about him Damon?

I looked down.

Her: No Damon! Don't tell me you are going to defend him. Is that why you jumped at the file when I looked at it?

I was quiet all this time. She was asking all these questions she already knew answers to. Why do women do that? Aint like asking us such questions are going to change anything.

Me: it's my job Amahle!

Her: You could have said NO Damon. He wouldn't be the first person you turned down

Me: Amahle you don't understand. No one wanted to be his lawyer a....

Her: what do you mean I don't understand? I understand that you want to stand in front of the whole of South Africa and defend a woman beater, a rapist, a drug lord... Do you need me to continue?

Me: but I defend such people on a daily Amahle. It's my job to keep people out of prison

Her: your job is to defend innocent people Damon not this

Me: what happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Her: oh don't hit me with that bull. You know in this case it doesn't apply. He has done everything people say he has done.

Me: So what should I have done Amahle? Since you know my job so well

Her: turned him down. Let the state give him a lawyer!

Me: yes, and risk putting you and Iyana's lives in danger huh?

Ok so that didn't come out right. it wasn't meant to come out at all. She looked at me as though trying to process what I had just told her.

Her: w-what?!

Me: he threatened to go after you and Iyana if I didn't do it. I had no choice Amahle I swear. I would die before I let anything happen to you guys

And I meant it. I would rather die myself before I let anything happen to the loves of my life.

Her: I....Why didn't you tell me?

Me: I wanted to protect you. I always do

Her: But what does Iyana have to do with anything? She has no sin