Part 30

#AMAHLE

My husband didn't even stay. He drove us straight to the airport because it was already too late for him stay any longer plus he was worried about missing our daughter's bed time. I dropped him off and then drove back home, I parked his car and then I walked inside and I was greeted by Noma, mom's house keeper and some noise coming from the lounge. I went to greet everyone. I last saw my siblings on Christmas so this was a big deal and my nephews and niece were happy and jolly playing around. Nathi was beautiful, she was actually glowing.

Alu: you so skinny. Isn't Damon feeding you?

Me: do you not see this belly?! Plus, Iya is sucking the life out of me

We all laughed

Mom: now you know how it was raising you

Ana: yoh this one was the worst baby ever!

Alu: as if you would remember

Me: argh please I was not that bad

Alu: mom

Mom: I'm not going to throw shade at my baby now. So how was the trip?

Me: it was very nice, I was sleeping most of the trip

Mom: What?

Me: Damon drove me here

Ana: How is he and Yana?

Me: he's great, never better and Bandile?

Her: he's great too

Something about the way she said it was not convincing which meant that we were going to continue with this conversation when we were alone

Alu: so mom why are we here?

Ana: you not dying are you?

Bomi was still beautiful but she was a little darker and her hair was shorter

Me: what's with the short hair. You got cancer or something?

Her: yes. Skin cancer

Us: right

Me: very funny mom

I said sarcastically

Her: really I do.

And then there was awkward silence.

Her: this is not why I called you here anyway.

She took out her phone and sent a text

Ana: hold up mom. Since when?

I was still shocked, trying to process what mom had just told us. The kids were playing in one of the rooms with Noma. Just then a face I never thought I would ever see again walked in. He was still as hot as he was. Oh God this is all too much to handle.

Him: Hey guys

I could feel myself getting something like a panic attack. My breathing was slowly escalating; I was getting really hot in that house. I could see Daniel but my mind was on my dying mom. Bomi was sick. How did I not know this whole time? When did she find out? How did she hide it so well? Was she even getting any treatment? Those were the questions going through my mind. Never mind that Daniel Hlathi rose from the dead, this was serious. My siblings and I were shocked, no one said a word. I stormed out. I couldn't deal with this. It was too much to take in.

"Amahle wait"

"Mahle"

"Baby please let's talk about this"

I could hear them shouting but I couldn't. I went outside and sat on the steps in front of the kitchen door, I needed some air and I needed my grandmother. Only she would know how to ease the situation and make the pain kind of better if that is even the right way to put it. If not my grandmother at least sis May, she would know what to say to me and she would put it the way my grandmother would have put if had she been alive. I was happy Daniel was back but he came back at the wrong time and as for how Bomi told us about the cancer. No child should have to hear about such news like that. I mean I know cancer is serious and it's not something you ought to joke about but being black and all and coming from the family I come from, you tend to joke about serious things and I know it's wrong in so many levels. I just turned 23 and I'm pregnant with twins this year alone and I still need my mother. My in laws will never be able to take my mother's place, they'll never be able to play her role as well as she does. Yes, cancer can be cured if detected early but it doesn't change the fact that the minute you hear somebody has it, you automatically think they dying. Its common black logic if I can even put it that way but to me it makes sense. You hear cancer, you think death and that's how it is, has been and probably will be. As I was sitting there I felt someone put their arm around my shoulders and pull me in for a hug.

Her: I'm sorry you found out that way baby

It was Bomi

Her: please don't cry my angel. I'm going to be fine, I'm going to beat this ok

I didn't even know I was crying until she mentioned I was. I wiped my tears but they didn't stop coming out.

Me: how long have you known?

I got out of her arms.

Her: since last year November

Me: when were you going to tell us?

Her: as soon as we get the Daniel Hlathi news out of the way

Me: when did he come back?

Her: a few days' back

Me: meaning that had he not showed up, you still wouldn't have told us mom?

Her: no baby its nothing like that. I was going to tell you as soon as I got the strength to

Me: oh wow mom. Are you attending any treatment?

Her: yes, I am, I go for Chemo every once in a month in East London

Me: and who takes you?

Her: Tabisa

There was silence between the two of us.

Her: look I will be fine. I will beat this baby but I need you to be strong for me. I need my family's support through all of this

Me: when is your next appointment?

Her: next month, last Friday of every month

Me: can I come with you?

Her: I don't know baby. I don't think you'll be able to handle seeing me like that. Especially with the pregnancy and all

Me: mom please don't shut me out again. Please

Her: fine

Me: and Daniel? Does he know?

Her: yes he does

Me: and?

Her: he didn't take it well

Me: and dad?

Her: I was with him when I found out

Me: and he still let you stay here alone?

Her: I asked him not to. Look, I am fine and I will get through this

Me: if you say so

I hugged her tight and she hugged me tighter. I can't help it. I was worried about mom but I knew that she needed me more than I've ever needed her this time around so father God please give me the strength to be there for her. We broke the hug.

.

.

The way Ama and her siblings found out about Bomi's cancer was kind of like the same way I found out about my mom's cancer. It was back in 2014 September holidays and I had just come back from Durban to see the family, mom went to fetch me at Caltex garage on N2 behind Northcrest Spar complex. I had this freaky hairstyle I had seen from Megan Good on Act Like a Lady Think Like A man, sides were shaved with some hair left in the middle. I got in the car and I noticed that she had lost her complexion and she was skinnier than the last time I had seen her and her hair was super short almost like she had just cut it a few days ago. She asked me about my hair and my response was I was supporting cancer and I asked her the same question Ama asked Bomi and mom responded the same way Bomi did. I'm normally jolly and talkative but after hearing that I wasn't so talkative anymore I just put my phone away and listened to the radio while she tried to lighten up the mood in the car as it was just she and I. What could one possibly say after hearing that their mother was sick with cancer of all things?! Anyway this story is not about me but I felt I should share with you guys. I'm not saying Bomi is going to die or anything because she won't. My mother beat cancer in 2015 December 24, she had her last visit then and she was declared cancer free even though she still has to take meds to kill any cancerous cells. She was lucky it was detected in its early stages and thank God for that. My mother is a God fearing woman who believes in prayer and nothing else so that's how she managed to pull through and be the strong woman she is right now. So yeah that's just me and its such things that have made me appreciate the people in my life even more.