Chapter 2: Pretty Sweet Ride

(1395) Words

Mark's POV

🔆~~~🪐~~~🍄~~~🪐~~~🔆

Toretto Garage- 2:18 AM

I watched Tony and Layla walk back over to the rest of the group. I sat for a minute trying to fully understand Tony's advice. Layla said to just be myself, but I'm worried that if I'm just me... she won't like me. "She" being Rachel. Rach and I have been friends since we were young. She was actually my only friend. I had just moved to the school and she was one of the most popular people. She and April became friends when we were like 12. Once we hit high school, all the guys threw themselves at Rach. We stayed good friends and met Leo and Chris in a driving class. We all found that there was a shared love of driving within the group. A few months ago, we found out that we were being asked to join a spy program. As soon as we heard about the Toretto team, we were all in. We started with 4 months of training. Turns out that the training is nothing like what a real mission feels like. Which was the main reason we got captured and Tony and his crew had to rescue us. I ruined the mission and let my team down. ON THE FIRST MISSION! If we get another mission, how will I know I won't screw it up again? I sat for a few minutes more, just thinking. I decided to head back to the group and try to get some more sleep. I laid down next to Rach and she slowly opened her eyes. I smiled at her and she smiled back. She rolled over and went back to sleep as I tried to do the same.

Toretto Garage- 9:43 AM

I felt a finger tap my shoulder. I slowly opened my eyes to see Tony leaning above me.

Tony- Morning, Kiddo.

Mark- Hey.

I slowly sat up as Tony sat next to me.

Mark- Where is everyone?

Tony- The rest of the team went on a morning race.

Mark- Oh. Who's winning?

Tony- Layla.

Mark- That's to be expected.

Tony- How'd you sleep?

Mark- Not great.

Tony- What's on your mind?

Mark- I failed! I ruined our mission! I got my whole team captured! They could have died!

Tony- You know how many times I screwed up? A LOT!

Mark- Is that supposed to make me feel better?

Tony- I mean, we are all still here! We always find a way to fix everything. That is true leadership. Never giving up, even if it seems like there is no other way.

Mark- Yea. When we were trapped, I didn't give up, I just knew it was all my fault!

Tony- I do the same thing. But I always trust my family. I know they will help clean up my stupid mistakes.

Mark- I just hope I don't keep making these stupid mistakes!

Tony- Those mistakes will never go away. You will get better at solving them, but you will also get better at creating them.

Mark- I guess you're right. It's just a part of being a leader. I just hope I'm good enough.

Tony- Trust me. You're good enough.

Mark- Thanks, Tony.

Tony- Of course! Now, how about we go check out your new ride and take it out for a race?