Chapter 9: Scarred For Life

(720) Words

Frostee's POV

🍦~~~💻~~~🌴~~~💻~~~🍦

I could not fall asleep. It could be the fact that I'm laying on the floor. Or the fact that now I will always have THAT picture in my head of Layla and Tony. But something was just off. I couldn't figure it out, but I just could drift off to sleep. I decided that I wasn't sleeping and should let the others rest. I went outside where there was an old wooden fence. I sat on the fence and looked up at the stars. I heard one of the stall gates creak and a small, "shit." Then Layla walked quietly out of the barn.

Layla- Hey Frost.

She sat next to me and put an arm over my shoulder.

Frostee- Hey.

Layla- What's wrong?

Frostee- Nothing.

Layla- Okay.

She just sat there looking at the stars. She kept her arm over my shoulder.

Frostee- Really?

Layla- What?

Frostee- You're just gonna give up?! That easily?!

Layla- I don't know...

I stood up and walked a few steps away. I faced away from Layla as I thought for a second.

Frostee- You know what!? Something is wrong! We're stuck in the past and I CANT FIX IT!

Layla- There it is.

Layla stood up and walked over to me.

Frostee- What?

I turned back towards her.

Layla- Your problem. You told me.

Frostee- Oh...

Layla- What do you mean, you can't fix it?

Frostee- I always have to fix this sort of stuff. I'm the guy you guys call when this stuff happens. But I'm stuck here too. I can't fix the machine. I can't bring everyone back!

Layla- Frostee. I'm sorry.

She pulled me into a tight hug.

Frostee- For what?

Layla- For always putting that kind of pressure on you. You shouldn't feel like you always have to save us. We have to work on not getting ourselves into these stupid situations.

She finally let go of me and looked me in the eyes.

Layla- Don't put so much pressure on yourself. Okay? The more pressure you put on yourself, the more difficult it is to overcome it.

Frostee- Since when did you become the inspirational speech giver?

Layla- Since I married Toretto. His stupid speech skills have rubbed off on me.

Frostee- By the way, I hope you know I will always have that picture of you two stuck in my brain. I feel like I need to wash my eyes out with bleach!

Layla- Seriously?! It's that big of a deal!?

Frostee- That was disgusting! I'm scarred for life!

Layla- Don't be so dramatic! You're lucky you came over then! If you had waited any longer it would have been way worse!

Frostee- EWW!

Layla- Haha! Come here, Kiddo.

She pulled me into another warm hug. After she let go, I figured it was time to ask how she was doing.

Frostee- Are you okay?

Layla- What?

Frostee- Are you okay? Ever since you saw your mom... you've seemed... off.

Her smile quickly disappeared and I was starting to regret asking.

Layla- It's... It's complicated. I went through so much pain when I lost my mom. I was young, but at the age where I understood what was happening. It's been a LONG time since I have seen her. The only time I see her now is in pictures. But... something about seeing her... alive... makes it hurt again. The wound has healed, but it was like it just got torn open again!

Frostee- Yea. That sucks. I'm sorry you had to see her. I'm sorry you lost her in the first place! I couldn't imagine what it would feel like if one of my moms died.

Layla- Come on. Let's try to get some sleep.

We walked with her arm over my shoulders and mine on her side. We separated in the middle of the barn and each went back into the stalls we had picked before. I looked back and as Layla opened the stall door, I could see Tony on the floor with his mouth wide open. In the stall across from theirs, Echo and Shashi were all curled up together. Cisco was passed out, still snoring like before. I laid down and closed my eyes. After a bit, everything started to dim and I finally fell asleep.