Chapter 7: That's Definitely Not What We Were Looking For

(994) Words

Rachel's POV

🦋~~~🎀~~~🌹~~~🎀~~~🦋

We had all gotten to the garage when everything got a bit quiet. Not in a bad way, just everyone was focused. I went outside and sat on the edge of my car looking at the sunset. I started to think. I thought about my past. I thought about my friends. I thought about the mission. But mostly I thought about what had happened between me and Mark during the earthquakes. During the first one, he held my hand. The second, he pulled me REALLY close. He smiled at me in a way that no one ever did! And he was gonna kiss me! At least I think he was. He moved my hair and touched my cheek! Eek! I could feel my cheeks heat up and a smile grow on my face.

Mark- What's so exciting?

I quickly turned to see Mark leaning against my car next to me. I hadn't even noticed he was there!

Rach- Are you trying to give me a heart attack?!

Mark- Chill!

He moved over close to me. Now our shoulders were touching.

Mark- Whatcha thinking about?

Rach- Nothing. Hey. I wanted to ask you something. About earlier.

Mark- What's up?

Rach- When we were in the car... before the earthquake happened... were you gonna... ya know... kiss me?

Mark- Uhh... I guess my answer will change depending on if you wanted me to kiss you or not.

Rach- I mean... I wouldn't turn it down...

Mark- Then... maybe.

He turned towards me a bit and picked up a strand of my hair from the side of my head. He just played with it, wrapping it around his fingers.

Rach- You know... getting to be a spy was one of the best things that ever happened to me.

Mark- What is that supposed to mean? You were one of the most popular girls at school. Every guy practically threw themself at you!

Rach- That's not what I want! I don't want to settle for a guy who only likes me for my looks and popularity! I want someone who knows me! Someone who understands me!

Mark- Well... I understand you pretty well.

Rach- You do. And I probably wouldn't be where I am today without you.

Mark- Really?

Rach- Yea! You were the one who got us all to be spies together in the first place!

Mark- I did do that.

Then things got quiet and we just stared at each other. Mark began to close the gap between us, still holding a strand of my hair. He put his other hand on the top of my neck with his thumb on my cheek. I began to close my eyes because I knew what was coming next. My soul was screaming! So much anticipation! It's gonna happen! He's gonna kiss me!

Chris- I think Leo found something! WOAH!

Mark- Chris.

Chris ran over to us. He leaned on the other side of the car, still facing us. He leaned in and whispered.

Chris- Were you two about to kiss?!

I leaned across the hood of the car too and calmly whispered back.

Rach- Yes.

Chris- Woah!

Then he took off into the garage.

Rach- What is wrong with him?

Mark- I don't know.

Rach- Come on!

I took his hand and took off towards the garage. As I ran in the opened garage door I dropped his hand.

Rach- What did you find?

Leo- I found some encrypted data.

He clicked on something and a black screen with a play button came up. He clicked it and the CAR FAIL GUY VIDEO CAME UP!

Mark- That's definitely not what we were looking for.

Leo went to click a different video.

Chris- No wait! This is the best part!

Leo rolled his eyes and switched to the next video. Frostee came on the screen.

Frostee- Hi. This is Frostee Benson. This is top-secret information about our current mission. I have the plans for Dakar's time machine with me. We are currently under constant surveillance so I have to make this quick. I'm going to destroy the plans and I want to have a backup picture of it. So here are the blueprints!

He showed the plans to the camera.

Layla- Frostee! Someone's coming!

Then Frostee pulled the prints away from the camera and quickly turned off the camera. Then the screen went black. Leo went back to the footage and paused at the right spot.

Mark- So... can you build it?

Leo- With Frostee's exact plans, I should be able to finish it in a day or two!

Rach- That's great!

April- Nice work, Leo!

The sun had set and it was starting to get pretty dark. I was sitting on the couch in the middle of the garage. Mark came over and sat down next to me.

Mark- Hey.

Rach- Hi.

Mark- I guess we have a day to kill.

Ms. Nowhere- No you don't. You're going to be doing very intense training on your so-called, "Day Off". Except you Leo. You keep working.

Leo- Yup!

Ms. Nowhere- Take this.

She handed Mark a small bracelet with a little button on it.

Mark- What is it?

Ms. Nowhere- It instantly tells me that the time machine is ready. So once it is done, press that and I'll be here as soon as possible.

Mark- Thanks!

Ms. Nowhere- You kids should get to sleep now.

Rach- But it's only 7 o'clock!

Ms. Nowhere- And you are doing very intense training tomorrow. And I don't want to hear ANY complaining!

And with that, she left.

Mark- You heard the boss.

April- Night!

Rach- Good night, guys.

Chris- Night, bro.

Chris patted Leo on the back. I quickly leaned over to kiss Mark on the cheek before pulling a blanket over me, laying on the other side of the couch. He froze for a second before laying down on his side of the couch.