Chapter 26: My Husband's an Idiot

(820) Words

Layla's POV

🤠~~~🐴~~~🌻~~~🐴~~~🤠

After my car got towed away to be rebuilt for the thousandth time, Toretto pulled me aside.

Layla- Oh Tony! Your eye looks terrible.

Toretto- Your head doesn't look much better.

Layla- It barely even hurts.

Toretto- What were you thinking!?

Layla- What the hell are you yelling at me for?!

Toretto- Why would you risk getting hurt.

Layla- Believe me, I have done way worse before.

Toretto- Yeah. Before... this.

He gestures towards my stomach.

Layla- I knew it.

Toretto- Knew what?

Layla- I told you people would treat me different. But I can't believe you're doing it too!

Toretto- Layla I'm trying to look out for you!

Layla- Well guess what Tony! You don't get to make choices for me. I make my own fucking choices. I'm a damn adult, same as you!

Toretto- That's not what I meant!

Layla- Things might be changing Toretto. But I was really hoping you weren't gonna change.

Toretto- Layla.

Layla- Guess I was wrong.

I turned way from him and walked over to Mark leaning against the hood of his car.

Layla- Could you take me home?

Mark- Yeah. Are you alright?

Layla- Yup. My husband's an idiot.

Mark- Hop in.

Most of the drive was silent until Mark decided to talk.

Mark- Is your head okay?

Layla- Oh yeah. It's pretty small.

Mark- There are bandaids in the glove compartment if you want one.

Layla- Thanks.

I took one out and used the mirror to put it over the slice above my eyebrow.

Mark- Are you and Tony okay?

Layla- Yeah. He just gets worried sometimes.

Mark- It might just be me, but he seems really protective recently.

Layla- He's always protective. I guess it's been a bit since I've been in any actual danger.

Mark- That makes sense.

I hated lying to the crew. But this technically wasn't lying. Just withholding the truth.

Mark dropped me off at the house. Lucy was jumping at the door once I unlocked it. I hung the keys up on the wall and flopped onto the couch. Lucy jumped onto the couch and curled up next to me, laying her head on my belly. I gently pet her head as I heard the all too familiar engine out side.

Toretto- Layla?

Layla- What do you want Toretto?

I sat up to look over the back of the couch.

Toretto- I'm sorry.

It got quiet as he decided what to say next that wouldn't make me more upset. But being Toretto, he was taking too long. Which also made me upset.

Layla- Is that it?

Toretto- No.

He walked over to sit next to me.

Layla- So?

Toretto- I'm trying to find the right way to say this. I just... I love you. Like crazy amount. And I can't stand to see you get hurt. But I can't control what you do. Never have been able to. And now that you're pregnant, I don't know, I just get so worried all the time.

Layla- I get it. You wanna protect the baby. And that's great. That's how I know you are gonna be an amazing dad. But I'm not ready to give up being a spy. I know you aren't either. But things are changing for us. Pretty soon, there's gonna be a new Toretto around here. We just have to make sure we are on the same team.

Toretto- Gotcha.

He leaned in to connect our lips. I put a hand on the back of his neck to keep him from pulling away. When I finally pulled back, all I saw was his goofy grin.

Layla- So... I think we should put something on that eye of yours before it turns a whole bunch of colors.

Toretto- Yes ma'am.

Toretto sat on the kitchen counter holding a bag of ice against his left eye.

Layla- You wanna tell me what happened now?

Toretto- Not really.

Layla- Still in a bit of a bad mood?

I moved closer to him. Now standing in between his legs that were spread open as he sat.

Toretto- No.

Layla- Right.

I played with a button on his shirt as he groaned.

Layla- You're just pissed you got beat up by a girl.

Toretto- Not just any girl! Rafaela! She's so annoying! I wish it was literally anyone else!

Layla- Wow. What a rare outburst of emotions.

Toretto- I'm sorry. I'm just upset.

Layla- I can see that. But it's kinda hot when you get all riled up like this.

Toretto- Is it?

Layla- Uh huh.

I slightly gripped his belt buckle as I looked up at him making eye contact. He hopped off the counter, which put us only inches apart. He leans down just to scoop me off my feet, legs wrapping around his waist.

Layla- Damn. I should get you upset more often.

He chuckled as he connected our lips.