08 | The Blake Siblings

skye hoppers pov 

I invited Robin to Bruce's game with me. Vance was taking a nap and Robin vowed to not say anything. 

"You know Finney's playing too, right?" Robin asks. 

"Are they on the same team?" I ask. 

"No. They're going against each other today" Robin answers. 

"Hm" I say as we approach the field. 

I spot Bruce and give him a little wave. He smiles and waves back. Me and Robin walk over to the teams, Robin saying hi to Finney, Me going over to Bruce. 

"Hey, Yamada!" I say with a smile. 

"Hey, Hopper" He greets. 

"Good luck. Robin told me this team was undefeated" I tell Bruce. 

"Shit, really?" Bruce asks, burying his face in his hands. 

"Yup, sorry Yamada" I say, sitting on top of the picnic table by him. 

"It's whatever. Still might kick their asses" Bruce says confidently. 

"You better hit a home run" I say, playfully hitting his knee. 

"I'll try" Bruce assures me, resting his elbow on my shoulder. 

Robin walks up to us. "Hey Skye. You wanna hang out with me, Finney and Gwen after the game?" He asks. 

"Isn't Finney scared of me?" I ask, as Bruce puts his arm around my shoulders. My face burns up. 

Robin smiles at us as he does. The coaches begin yelling for the boys to start warming up. 

"Gotta go, Hopper" Bruce says, bringing his arm back to his side. 

"Bye, Bruce" I tell him. 

"What was that about? Are y'all dating? And you didn't tell me you little bitch?" Robin laughs. 

"Me and Bruce aren't dating, Arellano" I deny. "We are just friends. But I might like him" 

"I knew it!" Robin yells with a laugh. 

"Be quiet, dumbass!" I say, smacking his arm. 

"He's totally into you" Robin says. 

"No way" I deny. 

"Didn't he almost kiss you?" Robin asked. 

"Yeah.." I sheepishly reply. 

"Exactly. He likes you" Robin counters. 

"Okay, okay. Watch the damn game, Arellano" I tell him. 

Finney is the pitcher and Bruce is the next batter up.

Finney pitches, and Bruce hits it right to the third baseman. The boy catches it and gets Bruce out. He looks at me as he runs back to the dugout, and I give him a small smile. 

Turns out, Bruce got the losing point. I walk over to the dugout as the boys are filing out and Bruce is the last one out. I walked up to him. 

"It was still a good hit" I say, giving him a small shoulder bump. He smiles at me. 

"Thanks Hopper" He says. "You know how Betty and Vance went to that movie at the drive-in last night?" 

"Yeah. And how you hid in my closet and had to climb out of my window." I laughed. 

"Yeah, yeah" He laughs, his cheeks turning red. "Do you wanna go see that movie tonight?" 

"Yeah, sure" I reply with a smile. "I'm hanging out with Robin, Finney, and Gwen after y'all are done cleaning up. Aren't y'all neighbors?" I ask. 

"Yeah. They're right next door. So meet up at 6?" He asks. 

"Yep. See you then, Yamada" I tell him. 

....

I'm sitting beside Robin at the diner as Finney and Gwen are across from us. We're all drinking our milkshakes in awkward silence. 

"Finney, I'm sorry about my brother. He's kind of an ass to people he doesn't know that well. He's mainly mad because you held the door for the cops when he got arrested." I tell the curly haired boy. He still has a couple marks on his face from Vance. There are a few bruises on his hands from trying to fight back. I feel bad for him. The poor kid just wanted to play pinball. 

"That was like a year ago! Why did he beat me up now?" Finney asks. He didn't even get an explanation. 

"He was having one of his bad days and he saw you there. He said 'I couldn't believe he had the balls to come back'." I answer him. 

"Oh" Finney says. 

"Your brother's an ass" Gwen says, getting a laugh from all four of us. 

"Trust me, I know. I live with him" I laugh. 

"So... Skye. You and Bruce hm? I saw you guys getting pretty cozy before the game" Gwen says, looking at me. The awkward tension was gone now. 

"Heh" I laugh awkwardly. "We're not dating" 

"But she likes him. And he definitely likes her" Robin states. 

"mhm" Finney nods after taking a sip from his milkshake.

"What do you mean?" I ask the boy. "Did he say something to you?" 

"He did say he likes a girl the other day. And that her brother couldn't find out" Finney explains. "Seems to fit your description" 

I feel my cheeks heat up. Does Bruce really like me? I guess I've kinda had a feeling but it's so real now. 

"You're soo red right now" Gwen laughs, making me hide my face behind my milkshake. 

"Tell us the timeline. I need to know how it started" Finney says, leaning in close, wanting to hear what I have to say. 

"You're just like Robin" I laugh. "You're so into this" 

"Uh, yeah! Bruce needs a girl" Finney laughs. 

"Well you're gonna have to wait until we get to your house" I tell him with a smile. 

The Blake siblings are a lot better than Vance made them sound. 

{ word count : 906 }