21 | The High and Low

{Skye Hoppers Pov}

Two days after the incident in the bathroom,  Me and Robin were at Finney and Bruce's game. They were on opposite teams, and me and Robin had placed a bet on who would win. I, of course, bet on Bruce's team, Robin's bet was placed on Finney's. Finney was a pitcher, and Bruce was a catcher. Bruce was also known for his batting average, which was pretty high from what I hear. 

It was the last inning of the game, and Bruce was hitting off of Finney's pitch. Finney's arm swings as the ball flies towards Bruce, who misses it. 

Strike! the umpire the yells. 

The catcher throws the ball back to Finney, and he pitches the ball again. Bruce misses. 

Strike!

"Looks like you're going to owe me ten bucks" Robin laughs, and I hit his arm playfully. 

"There's still one more chance, Arellano, don't get your hopes up" I laugh as Finney stretches his arm before the final throw. 

The game is tied. This pitch means who wins the game, and who loses. Finney throws the ball and a slight thump sounds as the ball flies through the air, and over the fence. Bruce runs through the bases, waving at me as the crowd cheers for him. 

"Pay up" I laugh.

"Dammit" Robin complains as he reluctantly hands me the green bill. 

Bruce's foot hits the home plate, the cheers are still going strong.  The boy's teammates crowd him with pats and cheers at the victory. Not only did he win the game, he hit a home run. 

...

After the crowds died out, I waited for Bruce by the dugout. The boy's teammates pass by me, and he finally comes out with a big smile. I hugged him excitedly. 

"Bruce, that hit was amazing!" I say happily as he presses a kiss on my cheek. 

I move my focus to the boy and kiss his lips. He's taken aback at first by the sudden action, but he soon kisses back. I put my arms on my shoulders as our lips begin to synchronize. I get a bad feeling in my gut. Why? I'm kissing Bruce, why would I feel like this? 

Vance. 

Vance is missing. And I'm kissing a boy. A sudden wave of guilt lands in the pit of my stomach, and my once inviting hands on Bruce's shoulder are now gently pushing him away. 

His lips leave mine, and I get a confused and worried look from the boy. 

"Skye, are you okay?" He asks me. "Did I do something?" 

"No, no" I fake a smile. "I just remembered that I have to get home soon" 

"Alright, bye. Walk safe" He smiles. 

"Bye, Yamada" I smile, yet it's another fake one. 

I don't want to tell him about Vance. I want him to celebrate his victory today. He doesn't need a burden today. 

I began to walk home, missing person posters hung up on fences. Vance. No one seemed to actually care. I continue walking, thinking about what he might be doing now. Or if he's doing anything at all. 

Vance can't be dead. They're going to find him. If not, I'll find him by myself. The other boys like Billy and Griffin may not have been found yet, but I'm going to find Vance. 

I walk into my house, and yell my mothers name. 

No response. Maybe she's still at work. I walk into the living room and see my mother sitting in the old recliner where Vance used to always sit, a sad look sprawled on her features. 

"What is it, mom?" I ask, walking in front of her. Did they find a body? Is it Vance's? Is he really dead?

"That boy you hang out with, Bruce" She trails off. 

"What about him?" I question. No...

"He went missing on his way home from his baseball game, sweetie. I'm so sorry." She says sadly. 

"I'm going to my room" I tell her with a slight crack in my voice. 

I walk to my room and close the door. Bruce isn't missing. No. No way. The other boys were taken so far apart from each other. Why would he need another boy? He has Vance. Unless... Vance is really dead. And Bruce is next. 

A/n 

emo chapter today yall