Chapter 28 • Brack

I had to see her

I had to see her.

I don't know why but I just have to.
Maybe it's for closure. Maybe for no other reason than to ease my peace of mind. Hoping it's true that she will do harm to Miracle or maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment. Either way, I need to do this.

I spent a restless night tossing and turning. Debating with myself if I should go to her. The questions in my mind started running rapidly.

Would Miracle be upset if I went? Could I see her and handle her not remembering me? Would it be selfish of me? Will I finally be able to rest knowing she won't harm Miracle?

They were relentless.

Waking this morning I decided to just go. I know she's at her dads Earl cabin. I quickly showered and dressed not bothering with breakfast. I don't know why I was so eager but I just had to her.

Arriving at his cabin. I see Rosco on the porch.

He looks directly at me but doesn't bark

He looks directly at me but doesn't bark. The old boys use to me by now. Creeping to the side of cabin, glancing around the back. I see her standing in front of the forest, a cup of coffee in her hand. She has a woven blanket around her. Her hair is pinned up in a messy bun. She looks better than she did in the dungeon.

Sensing me be behind her, she turns and looks my way. The wind is blowing pieces of loose hair across her face.

"Hello." She gives a slight smile, she's a bit apprehensive.

"Hi" I take a step to her. She looks around nervously.

"Can I help you?" Her face scrunches. I use to think it was adorable.

"You don't recognize me?" She quizzically looks at me, shaking her head.

"Sorry, should I?" Relief floods within me.

"No I'm just passing through. Have a good day." Waving goodbye, I leave her there. Headed back to the castle.

Talon did it! I can't explain how relieved I am. Knowing that Arista  will never hurt Miracle or even try again. Sets my mind at ease.