Chapter 4: The Value in a Voice

Shinso didn't know what he had been expecting from UA's general studies course. All he could think of when he entered class 1-C for the first time, was that he just needed to last until the Sports Festival. That was where he could make his mark – where he could show the world (or, more specifically, UA's Principle Nedzu) that he deserved a place in the heroics course. He just had to plough forwards, focus on his studies, and everything would be ok.

He had no plans on making friends. That would be a consequence on not planning on remaining in class 1-C for long enough to make friends. Even then, no intention crossed his mind of making more than an acquaintance with any possible classmates from the hero course. He had more pressing matters to attend to, that being, focusing on achieving his dream of becoming a hero. He'll show the world that he wasn't a villain – far from it.

But then that shy, bushy haired boy, the one sat in front of Shinso, caught his attention. He'd never met anyone else who found speaking more than a trivial part of everyday life; who understood its value and its consequences. Of course, there was bound to be a different reason behind this Midoriya's selective muteness than any issues Shinso had faced. But then he found out he was Quirkless.

He had no plans on making friends – really. Shinso just wanted to help him. The thing is with someone who had struggles speaking, is it often comes down to the people around them. He was curious – he wouldn't deny it. But being Quirkless? That made a lot of sense.

Suddenly, Shinso had found someone who he could really relate to – and not just on the problems with speaking front. It was an easy conclusion to make – Midoriya had been bullied at his old school (or possibly schools) for his Quirklessness, and, subsequently, developed some serious problems because of it.

He had no plans on making friends – but... maybe Midoriya hadn't either. And that's something else they had in common. And, well, Midoriya hadn't shown the slightest ounce of fear confronted with Shinso's Quirk (that might have been because Midoriya didn't speak and therefore wasn't easily mind controlled). He was the first person he'd ever met who learnt about his Quirk and didn't immediately link it with that of a villain. In fact, he said he could be a hero. And for just saying that, Midoriya was Shinso's hero.

"Did you hear?"

Shinso looked up from his phone. It was Kisho Shimizu. He had a twin in class, Kana, so the two both awkwardly insisted they called them by their first names.

"A guy from the heroics course has already been expelled," Kisho finished, eyes wide. Well, Shinso assumed they were. He had a hideous bowl cut, with a fringe so long that it covered his eyes.

Shinso felt his heart skip a beat – if someone had already been expelled, then there was a place open in the hero course.

Midoriya tapped him on the shoulder from behind. Shinso turned, only to see his friend sign, [Present Mic won his bet]

Shinso smirked, "Yeah, I guess he did."

[The person who was expelled must have been from Eraser Head's class. I've heard of him – he's so cool! His Quirk erases other people's Quirks by looking at them – so he effectively fights Quirkless!]

"That does sound kind of cool. How come I've never heard of him before?"

[He's an underground hero – they tend to avoid the press]

'Sounds like the kind of hero I would want to be...' Shinso thought. Yeah, he could see himself in Eraser Head's class

"Hey, what are you two talking about?" interjected Matsumoto. He sat behind Shinso in class and was one of the few who still insisted on wearing those stupid name tags.