Chapter 5: A Reason to Sing

There are some souls who live their lives to a constant beat. Nothing they do is out of rhythm, and this isn't meant in the context of someone who is perfectly organised in everything they do, for that is near to impossible. Life simply cannot be ordered with such precision. Instead, this rhythm is irregular. It has its ups and downs – times where it's in a minor key and where it transitions to major. This beat can be to an invention of the mind, or it can be well known – perhaps a song or two, or a hundred – shuffled on a mental playlist to an order which is not as random as initially anticipated.

Midoriya is one of these people.

He had only been attending UA for a few days, but already, there was a spring to his step and a song in his mind that he had not heard for far too long. Background music was what it was like. A soundtrack to his life, long since overdue. Now, everywhere he goes, songs creep up on him from the deepest depths of his mind – the tunes hanging just past his lips, tantalisingly close to spilling out into reality.

Midoriya was considering putting in earplugs and listening to whatever song the radio decided upon as he approached UA's glistening halls. The gigantic building loomed up ahead of him. It wasn't as ominous as it once was – representing nothing but a dream forever out of reach. Now, UA was a place where he could find a future. Maybe it wasn't going to be where he had wished it would take him, but did that really matter? Right now, Midoriya was just happy to have gone there at all. The main reason for this, in fact, had just ran around the corner.

"Morning, Midoriya!" Shinso exclaimed. Midoriya had never seen him so... excited for the day ahead? No – he couldn't quite place it. Something about his whole demeaner seemed different. The bags under his eyes were lighter – was that it? His smile was that little bit brighter – more genuine – less of a smirk and more of an actual smile. Midoriya grinned back at him.

"Good morning," he said, and suddenly slammed his hands over his mouth. The words had just fallen right out – he hadn't even thought about it – no impending panic attack about the very thought of releasing the smallest sentence. It was... normal – like speaking was supposed to be.

Shinso's smile grew wider.

[T-That was an accident] added Midoriya, his hands fumbling over each other. He briefly wondered if his sign was even interpretable.

"What, Speaking?" questioned Shinso, his signature smirk returning to his face as he began to walk up the hill towards school, Midoriya walking faster than he usually would to keep up with him.

Midoriya hesitated. This was strange – it had been a long time since he was last able to talk so freely. Even talking to his mother could be a struggle sometimes. He would avoid it if he could. "Y-Yes..." he managed, before letting out a slight laugh.

"A good accident, I hope – and not that you were trying to not talk to me."

"N-No – not a-at all!" Midoriya replied. 'Oh my God – I'm having a conversation...'

"So... why, um, why are you talking all of a sudden?" he asked hesitantly, as if he was worried the question would put Midoriya off talking all together.