Chapter 36: The Flight for Freedom

"I WIN!" Hagakure yelled, tossing the set of aces that she'd just collected onto the table, finishing off her hand. She had nothing left and was completely out of the game – not that it mattered.

"Yeah, she's got six sets, we're all doomed," sighed Sero, staring it the sets of cards before him, none of which were his.

Uraraka just sat hesitantly with her singular card, "Err... Uno?"

"That's what we're playing next," Mina said menacingly. "All for finishing this game here and playing Uno?"

Nearly everyone raised their hands.

Shinso didn't though, mainly because he was one card away from another set and he was pretty sure Bakugo had it. Oh well, he'd never beat six anyways.

"We could stay in these pairs to make things a little easier?" Yaoyorozu suggested, vaguely scanning the rules on the back of the Uno box as Iida frantically tidied away the playing cards.

"Sounds like a plan," Shinso sighed. He'd said that way too many times that evening. Honestly, he was looking forward to this being over, so he could go to bed and listen to Midoriya's playlist calmly, and maybe drift off to sleep. If the gods would permit as such.

"Ok, do we all know how to play?" questioned Yaoyorozu as she handed out a few cards to each pair.

"No?" Todoroki frowned, who seemed to have not played any board games ever – but was still rather good at them.

"You'll catch up quick," Shinso predicted as he tried not to grin at his plus four card.

"You've just gotta get rid of all your cards!" Mina explained. "Put them down if the one in the middle is the same colour or has the same number!"

"...What about those black ones with the plus symbol on it?" he frowned.

"Not that we have one, of course," Shinso added quickly.

"No, not at all," Jiro grinned, rolling her eyes, whispering something to Koda, who had ended up being her partner.

Shinso narrowed his eyes at her and sunk further back into his chair. She did the same.

"Put that down and the next person has to pick up four cards, according to the rules!" Yaoyorozu exclaimed happily. "Hagakure won the last round, so she'll go first!"

"Yes!" she said, supposedly punching the sky. It was a little hard to tell when everything but her short sleeved pyjama top was invisible.

"We can't even go, Hagakure," sighed her teammate, Ojiro.

She groaned loudly whilst they had to pick up five cards until they finally got the green one that they needed.

"Ok, everyone make it green again," Kaminari announced with a grin as Shinso took the opportunity to do just that.

"Oh, come on! You're on my team!"

"But I want to win," he pouted, before fake crying that he never won anything.

Shinso was already getting a migraine. "I need more coffee."

_____________________________

Midoriya was overthinking this. He was giving himself a headache. So many things were going on at once. He didn't even know what emotion to feel.

"Mr... Canary?" Midoriya blinked down at Eri, who had been walking along, holding his hand. "Where are we going?"

Ah, that was a good point.

He stopped in his tracks, glancing around. He'd just been walking – still in the mind of getting as far away as possible, without considering actually getting back.