Chapter 14: Gear Up

Midoriya couldn't remember when his free time was filled with something other than research. Research into what? – you might ask. Well, even Midoriya himself would struggle to give you a straight answer, for it involved anything and everything – wherever his mind wandered, he followed. Of course, it often wandered to Quirk analysis and hero trivia, but this time, it was a little different.

He had been scouring through the depths of the internet for information on UA general study students who transferred to the hero course after their first year Sports Festival. If he was aiming to do so himself, then he might as well gather as much intel on the process as humanly possible. However, the situation seemed to be as rare as Midoriya has initially suspected. Often, those who didn't pass the hero course entrance exam, never went on to do well enough in the Sports Festival to be offered a place. In fact, there was only one participant that Midoriya could get the slightest bit of information on who managed to achieve this feat – Shota Aizawa.

A little more digging – and the man's name was scarce and hard to come by. But he had done so well in his Sports Festival... there's no way UA would just ignore a talent like that... surely? But then again, in his subsequent years, Midoriya couldn't find any mention at all of Aizawa. Perhaps he didn't transfer at all in the end? In which case, what hope was there for Midoriya and Shinso?! That was when he looked up his Quirk –

It belonged to Eraser Head. Eraser Head! Class 1-A's homeroom teacher! Of course – he'd heard the name Aizawa before somewhere. Midoriya almost couldn't believe he hadn't made the connection before!

So, it really was possible.

But then, all Midoriya's digging paid off – not in the information about Mr Aizawa – but in none other than the support course students. They brought equipment and support items into the Sports Festival. Midoriya looked up the rules – and there it was.

Students from departments other than the hero course are permitted to utilise support items, regarding they developed them themselves, as those with hero course training are seen as having an advantage over competitors in other courses.

Midoriya could use support items.

He told Shinso all of this, but he wasn't that interested, for some reason. He was a little more intrigued by –

"You did what?" Shinso gaped.

"I-I bought a canary," Midoriya grinned.

Shinso stared at him, "You've got to be kidding me."

"B-But she's amazing! I-I really think she has a Quirk – maybe a minor intelligence one!"

He sighed deeply, "You are unbelievable."

"I got her on Friday. I thought I-I already told you this?"

"No – No, you did not."

"I-I've been leaving her at home during school. I hope she's a-alright..."

"She's a bird."

"Siren is a very smart bird."

Shinso paused, "You called her Siren?"

Midoriya nodded happily.

He looked rather lost for words over the whole ordeal, which confused Midoriya rather a lot. Shinso then seemed to decide that he was done here and picked up his tray to join the queue to clean it up. Midoriya got to his feet and hurried after him. He'd already emptied his tray, after deciding he'd do so whilst the queue had died down but had returned to sit with Shinso anyway.

[Hey, so – about the support items] Midoriya pressed, eager to keep talking about the subject.

"I don't know," Shinso sighed – again. "What support items could possibly help my Quirk?"