Chapter 50: The Bird Who Wasn't Afraid to Fly

"Ah! We should start posting videos online!" was what Mina yelled at the top of her voice at her friendship group that evening.

Shinso perked up, pulling out an earplug and leaning over the back of his chair to glance in their direction. He had been listening to Midoriya's arsenal again. It had been a while since Shinso had seen an updated version, which was nice, since Shinso had overplayed every other addition. It was rather thought provoking, listening to Midoriya's choice of music – no one else could make you think about it like that. And honestly, it was really improving his English skills. Despite the numerous Japanese songs that he'd also included, Midoriya still preferred the English ones, probably because it gave him greater tact in battles, since not everyone could understand and therefore predict what power he would gain...

But anyway – Mina was talking enthusiastically with people like Kaminari, Kirishima, Sero and a rather disinterested Bakugo. It was not a good mix of people, in Shinso's opinion, a recipe for disaster.

"Videos?" Sero repeated with a smirk, "What – of Kaminari electrocuting himself?"

"Hm?" Kaminari replied. He had a fork stuck in his mouth, which was stuck to a very dangerous combination of wires. He'd broken his phone charger; this was his alternative.

Rather than, you know – asking someone else for one.

...Like a normal person.

Shinso rolled his eyes. Sometimes, he wondered what he'd got himself into, when it came to the hero course. And Midoriya – but there was nobody like Midoriya.

If someone told a younger Shinso that, not only would he end up in the most famous hero course in the country one day soon, but this was how he got there...? He'd most likely brainwash them into doing something that made them look rather foolish. Well, he'd picture it in great detail, but probably wouldn't have the guts to actually go through with it... That was who he was back then – a different kind of timid and shy to Midoriya, but strangely similar, nonetheless.

Shinso would hide his fear behind a coy smile and sullen eyes, his entire aura radiating a message of don't you dare come near me. Everyone had called him the villain, so, he acted like one, in a way... anything to make them stop and leave him along.

Then, there was Midoriya.

Shinso had never expected UA to be any different from before. A school full of hero-wannabes had to be worse, right? But when he noticed that shy, mute kid, who he knew would struggle to do the littlest of things along, well, Shinso couldn't help but step in. He knew sign language, and so did Midoriya – and it all went on from there – a path that was unpretentious at first but took them both to the greatest heights and the worst lows. Now they were here – at the seemingly impossible place where they had always wanted to be.

And it took far less murder and blackmail than expected.

"– and we could so totally rival the radio gang!" Mina was pointing at Shinso now.

Shinso just blinked at her, he hadn't really been listening, "What?"

Hagakure was swaying side to side next to Mina, humming the tune to Video Killed the Radio Star on repeat.

Shinso sighed as he turned back around to his phone, lying and waiting for him on the table, "Whatever, you do you – but you'll never be more popular than Midoriya."

"This is true," croaked Tsuyu as she hopped past towards the bathrooms with armfuls of clothing. That was her only contribution to the conversation, and Shinso respected her for it.