Chapter 10: Canary Takes Flight

Midoriya had two new notebooks. One, he'd mentioned before – titled Quirk Analysis, was just that, analysis on his Quirk. He'd discovered a lot of new things ever since he'd started officially practising after school hours. Although Midoriya had yet to speak to the elusive Principle Nedzu, he had been permitted to use that sports hall for himself for one hour after school whenever he could, meaning Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, because his dad didn't call until a little later on a Friday evening anyway. Present Mic oversaw a few of them. He felt more than a little nervous, singing in front of people. That was probably why the hero started timing his arrival so that he only appeared when Midoriya was in mid song. It felt a little less awkward then.

Whilst most of that notebook involved information on what a particular song could do, the most important pages at the moment, were those detailing the specifics of his ability – or, more accurately, his limitations. And he'd made some very interesting discoveries in the short space of time that he'd had his Quirk. He put that down to putting so much energy into researching other Quirks, so when it came to his own, it was a piece of cake.

Quirk Name – Songbird Living Song Music...something

By singing a song, an ability is granted for the user to manipulate to their will whilst the song continues. The more practise put into a particular song, the longer effects last after the song has finished, the stronger it is, and the shorter the cool-down effect is between uses.

COOLDOWN:

If an ability is used, and the song is then sung again immediately after, the Quirk will not activate.
The cooldown period starts as soon as the power turns off – whether that be because the song was interrupted or stopped part way through, or because the song came to an end.
A new song has a cool-down length of roughly seventy-two hours (three days), which decreases slowly as the song is practised, but there will always be some kind of cool down. For example, the song Wings, which I have used on numerous occasions, still has a limit exceeding twenty-four hours, and that timespan is decreasing at a much slower rate than how it began.

ABILITIES:

Abilities vary from song to song, depending on how the user interprets the song themselves. Someone may think a song has a different meaning, but it relies solely on the user's opinion.
Only one ability can be used per song.
Mashups seem to have no effect as several songs are used at once. As soon as one song is stopped, its power stops working. Its only benefit is being able to transition quickly from one ability to another at a higher power level than just starting a new song again.
The strength of an ability increases as the song progresses, following how the music swells. It's at its strongest near the end of the song and in choruses.
I can use an ability if I skip straight to the chorus, but it will be weaker and the same cooldown period applies.
Some songs grant the same ability but at slightly different power levels and have varied applications.
Other songs seem to give no power at all, especially if they're super short or have few lyrics. Some just don't give powers for some reason.
If I don't feel a connection to the music, or dislike it in any way, shape or form, my Quirk won't activate.
If I forget a lyric or do something wrong, that counts as interrupting the flow of the music and the power shuts off; the cooldown period beginning.

LINGERING EFFECTS:

If a song ends un-interrupted or I purposely stop it at a suitable point, like when the chorus finishes, the ability the song grants can last even whilst not singing.
Lingering effects cut off if I try to start using another song.
The power lasts longer the more I practise a particular song.

AFFECTING OTHER PEOPLE:

My Quirk currently has three directions from which it can be easily applied: