Chapter 28: The Calm Before the Storm

Whatever Shigaraki said or did, it must have really shaken Midoriya.

Shinso called the police as soon as the hooded figure had vanished into the unknowing crowd. The mall was temporarily closed, and the area searched extensively – but Shigaraki was nowhere to be found.

It was news to Shinso, when Jiro told him that this Shigaraki guy was basically the head of the League of Villains – the same one who had sent the Nomu to Hosu and to the USJ. He had a disintegration Quirk, one which immediately destroyed whatever he touched with all five fingers (or four, if the thumb didn't count, which was something he'd pointed out light heartedly to improve the mood – it hadn't worked). He'd had one of those deadly hands around Midoriya's throat.

So, now, he was quiet again – reaching for his neck almost on instinct whenever he came across a situation where he should be speaking.

He stayed like that for two days – not using sign or even messaging on his phone.

But then Tuesday came around.

"Well, it's ok if you don't want to talk today," Aozora smiled. Like, actually smilednicely. "There's no pressure."

Midoriya just blinked at her, seemingly surprised.

She turned back to her laptop like this was an extremely normal occurrence, typing away happily. "You'd take a day off if you weren't feeling physically up to it, right? Shouldn't it be the same... you know, mentally?"

She had said it like it was the most obvious thing in the world – which it was. But it wasn't like the rest of the world seemed to understand that.

Shinso had gone with Midoriya to the radio station that day, thinking it would be far more difficult to organise a way around Midoriya's problem.

"You can sit in the waiting room until your train home if you want," Aozora offered, not looking back from her laptop. If she had, she would have seen the tears welling up in Midoriya's eyes. "You can even sit with Present Mic in the studio, hey – you can go in too, Raven."

Shinso didn't have time to reply before Present Mic finished up in the studio – but didn't throw the door open in his usual, dramatic fashion. Instead, he was slow and quiet, giving Midoriya a wide smile. "Hello there, little listener!" he said softly. "How's everyone's favourite canary?"

There was a determined tweet from the bird concealed amongst Midoriya's curls.

Midoriya let out a laugh, "She's fine."

Not a single person or creature in that room was immune from that smile of Midoriya's, as they quickly followed suit.

Thanks to the radio show – Midoriya's light hadn't quite been snuffed out yet.

"Then let's get to the last show before your summer camp!" Present Mic cried, his usual energetic self, returning in full force.

"Are you sure, Canary?" Aozora questioned, turning away form the blue light of her laptop for a moment, as she gazed concerningly at her little radio star.

He didn't waver for a single second as he nodded determinedly at her – like a switch had been flipped in his brain.

Aozora gave Shinso a look as Midoriya scurried after Present Mic into the studio. She didn't say anything out loud – that expression was enough.

You take care of him.

Shinso nodded and followed Midoriya inside, closing the door behind him.

Midoriya was sitting in his chair already – headphones on – and was currently spinning it around in circles, watching Siren soar in a similar pattern over his head.