Chapter 17: Canary - Rising

If you want the links to songs to work properly, go read the Archive Of Our Own version of this story because it's too fiddly to make Wattpad do it properly and I've lost my patience. This story is only on this site because of a copywrite claim issue I had to resolve.

_______________________

"Like I said, it'll be over in two seconds!" insisted Kaminari, brimming with confidence and an easy smile.

"Ready?!" Present Mic's voice boomed

Midoriya could feel his heart thumping manically within his chest. He assumed a position similar to that of someone beginning a race, his eyes focused and mind determined. This would all be a matter of timing.

"BEGIN!"

Kaminari raised his hands in the air, buzzing with growing static, "Sorry about this!"

It all happened very quickly. As electricity spread quickly towards Midoriya, he took two big steps forward, and leapt into the air.

~Wings – Hurts~

https://youtu.be/PedE5IZ7DfE?t=112

"WRAP YOUR WINGS AROUND–"

And he took to the sky, the familiar feeling of his wings spreading out behind him as he shot straight upwards, the wind ruffling his feathers and blowing the hair from his face.

"Wrap your wings, wrap your wings..." he sung.

The stadium was far below him now – he'd gotten a little carried away.

Spreading his wingspan to its fullest extent, he came to a halt just before a camera drone, set to hover way above the arena, likely to film attacks like Todoroki's from earlier.

He smiled widely at it, before snapping his wings closed and plummeting back towards the Earth.

Oh, how Midoriya loved to fly.

Midoriya was still singing, almost humming, as he heard the yells and screams of the crowd around him – Present Mic hadn't said anything yet.

He got rather close to the ground before he threw open his wingspan once more, catching himself in the air to rocket towards Kaminari. A beat of Midoriya's wings sent a gust blowing his opponent's hair from his face as Midoriya's feet touched the ground. He was now standing right in front of Kaminari. But he made no flinch, nor movement to indicate a further fight. He looked rather frazzled as he swayed side to side.

Midoriya stopped singing. He was breathing heavily – adrenaline still rushing through his veins from the thrill that a flight always gave him. His wings remained still; spread out widely either side of him.

Midoriya smiled – he had been right. Kaminari had overused his Quirk – and he now stood before him, completely short-circuited.

Cautiously, Midoriya tapped his forehead. He got the slightest static shock, but nothing more. With further confidence, he grasped Kaminari's shoulders, twisted him around, and pushed him towards the edge of the arena.

As Kaminari tripped over his own feet and faceplanted the concrete on the other side of the boarder line, Midoriya was dragged back to reality with an ear piecing yell.

"YYYEEEAAAHHH!" Present Mic screamed.

Midoriya just grimaced at Kaminari's fallen form as the sound rang out.