Chapter 38: The Next Move

Hero In Training, Canary, Returns From The Dead!

Sixteen days ago, Izuku Midoriya, otherwise known as the radio star and hero in training, Canary, who took second place in this year's first year UA Sports Festival, was kidnapped by a notorious group of criminals known as the League of Villains, during a UA summer training camp as part of Canary's transfer from UA's general studies department to the hero course. Questions were raised about students' safety at the prestigious school, which consequently prompted them to initiate moving their students into a dorm system on campus.

That is where, last night, Canary arrived, much to the shock of his classmates and teachers, alongside a young girl that Canary claimed to have also been held captive by a different group of villains who have yet to be identified. Both are now being kept in an undisclosed location to assess their injuries and keep them under protection as police investigations continue.

However, due to a debilitating injury, received during the Kamino Attack that resulted in the retirement of our long-standing number one hero, All Might, Canary may have been rendered permanently mute.

What does this mean for our young hero, with a powerful Quirk that requires his voice to activate?

Will UA be permitting him to remain in the hero course regardless of this turn of events?

How does Canary feel about the failure of the heroes and police department, on their inability to rescue him, despite him being kept only an hour's train ride from UA?

Subscribe to our newsletter to find out and read more on this breaking story.

One day since the return

"Now, in terms of the hole in your cheek..." Dr Imai continued, tapping his pen on the side of his clipboard. "We can most certainly fix it. It is a substantial loss of tissue, but skin grafting may still be a liable option."

Midoriya's mother squeezed his hand. She was sitting by his bed side, holding back tears, despite them leaking from her face consistently ever since she got the phone call that Midoriya was alive and safe in the hospital.

"Your tongue, however..." the doctor sighed. "It's comparable to losing a limb – there isn't just a small piece of muscle missing. A good majority of it has been completely disintegrated. Frankly, it's a miracle you didn't suffer from significant blood loss, although we have been led to believe that is as a result of the villain's Quirk."

"B-But will he ever be able to speak a-again?" Inko stammered, shuffling even closer to the bed on her creaky chair.

Dr Imai hesitated, but then nodded firmly. "With speech theory, time and practise. You will be able to speak again, with only a slight impediment in terms of certain sounds that are difficult to produce without a tongue. I'm afraid only you can know what this means in terms of your Quirk."

Midoriya nodded in understanding.

"I've seen people with tongue cancers who have had as much of their tongue removed as you, and they have, after a few years, managed to reach a point in their conversational levels where they can get their point across without too much trouble."

Midoriya just nodded again. It wasn't quite what he was hoping to hear, but he knew it was coming, regardless.

"Something else we can do is give you a kind of phantom tongue," the doctor offered. "You do still have a slight bit of muscle remaining, and through surgery we could construct a tongue which you can't move around much but can at least slightly. It would look like the real thing, or at least close enough, and could be slightly beneficial in eating." He cleared his throat again.