Chapter 25: Together in Hosu

Todoroki wasn't too sure why he was here.

That sentence could be interpreted in many different ways:

Sometimes, he wondered what God decided to bless Father with his existence – and why? Was the only reason that he was here at all, to become a hero that fulfilled Father's hungry ambition?

He pondered why he was here, looking down at his phone talking with... friends. How did he get to this point? Why did he... not try before? He'd always seen friendship as an unnecessary preoccupation – an obstacle to his future that he'd rather not concern himself with. Now he doesn't know how he got by without it.

He also, sometimes, questioned why he'd taken up Father's offer to internship under him, rather than break free of his hold all together – rebel by becoming a hero despite of his name, rather than because of it. But... that wasn't why he was here at all. He wouldn't have gone if he hadn't visited his mother for the first time since... But, that was all because of Canary.

He didn't know if Canary really knew how much that song meant to him. But there was something in the way he sung it – it almost seemed like he wasn't just trying to activate his Quirk – but trying to truly convey the meaning to Todoroki – like he was trying to help him. He didn't know the truth – but he saw what little emotion displayed on Todoroki's face, and took action. Todoroki looked forward to seeing him on the hero course. He deserved his place there. Todoroki really would never have visited his mother; gone to his father's agency – if it weren't for him.

But, mainly, he wondered why he was here. Like, right here, in this moment.

Hosu was bleak. A strange city – out of the way of the hustle and bustle that Todoroki had come to be accustomed to. Yet there was a certain darkness around the place. Every alleyway caught his eye. The strangers that lurked there glared back at him. It was as though the shadows had eyes.

Todoroki walked a good distance behind his father and his sidekicks as they trooped through the streets. It didn't feel like a hero's patrol. They were supposed to make others feel safe and protected. But this felt more like a small army, marching their way to war. Father's menacing manner did not, in Todoroki's opinion, give hope to the citizens of Japan, but instead, sparked a fear in everyone around him. They would shrink away in shame of any and all crimes that they may or may not have committed – all the way from theft in the local convenience store, to that toy they stole from their friend back in nursery.

He supposed it was effective.

Endeavor may have been a pretty poor father, but he was the number two hero. There were things Todoroki could learn from him. Although, he might not follow in his footsteps in terms of how he went about these patrols...

Maybe Canary would do it a little better. Once he'd gotten used to the people gawking at him and taking pictures, that is. People stared at Todoroki too. But it wasn't the same. He hoped that, one day, it would be. He didn't want people to fear him like they feared his father. There was only so much Father could teach him. His friends – well, they taught the rest.

Aria in the Aviary!

Owl: I feel so sorry for that one kid from yesterday

Owl: He will have a really bad fear of the dentist after this.

Owl: But yeah, today was pretty quiet.

Dove: Mine was the same as always. Super helpful though!

Owl: I guess jogging around the city a million times will be helpful in the long run.