Chapter 49: A Taste of Tomorrow

"I can't believe the Culture Festival is coming up so soon!" groaned Mina that lunch time, collapsing into a sofa and almost hitting Hagakure in the process.

"We have had a while to prepare, ribbit," acknowledged Asui, who by now had repeated her insistence of being called Tsu or Tsuyu to Midoriya – he was already so used to calling her Asui...

"But the movements are still too sloppy!" she barked, sitting bolt upright again. She pointed an accusing finger at Midoriya, who was standing with Eri over Todoroki's computer screen, looking up how to make candy apples. Ever since her favourite fruit could be made even better, she'd been transfixed by the idea of making them. "It only comes together right when Canary comes in!"

"Is that part of your Quirk?" wondered Uraraka, who had just slammed a rather heavy sounding bag of sugar down onto the kitchen counter, donated by Sato.

"I-I guess it could be..." Midoriya frowned. He hadn't actually considered what power the song they were using would produce. He probably should have done that earlier, but it hadn't immediately flagged itself up to him as something that would be remotely dangerous – or particularly useful either.

"It makes sense," nodded Jiro from across the room. She was speaking rather loudly, because she had her ear jacks pulled into her phone, mouthing the lyrics and tapping the side of the sofa as she considered a way to change the drums to fit Kacchan, who had complained that it was too easy – and kept improvising, knocking everyone but Midoriya, Jiro and Mina out of sync.

"I'd say..." pondered Uraraka, pulling a face as she considered the song, "maybe something emotional? You said quite a lot of songs do that."

Midoriya nodded, still vaguely focused on glancing at the candy apple recipes, "Hopefully something that makes everyone enjoy it more..."

"Yeah, that would be incredibly useful," Shinso sighed.

He'd managed to stay out of the whole, singing and dancing charade, which Midoriya found quite impressive. However, he had been taught expertly by Jiro to play along to the song they had chosen on the guitar. The original score didn't even have a guitar piece! Nonetheless, Jiro had managed to manipulate it to include everything they needed. Their keyboard players filled the gaps, that being Yaoyorozu, and, much to Midoriya's surprised, Kaminari. He had desperately wanted to play the guitar, but had been beaten to it by Shinso, who refused to do anything else, and Tokoyami, who already knew at least the basics. Instead, Kaminari had been given an instrument dragged out of the depths of Jiro's house – something her mum apparently used way back when – a kind of, handheld keyboard thing... she called it a keytar – and the whole situation just made Midoriya laugh – it was that ridiculous. Kaminari was enjoying it though, especially when they messed around with the settings to make it sound like a trumpet instead.

"Speaking of being incredibly useful," Jiro perked up, speaking normally now that she'd paused her music.

Shinso sighed, "What do you want us to do now?"

She gave him a look, "I wrote a load of stuff on a sheet of music last night and now I can't find it anywhere. I must have left it back over at the stage."

"We could go get it for you!" Midoriya offered. Shinso glared at him as if to say don't fall for her trap.

"Oh, could you?"

Shinso groaned even louder. "Come on then – we can show Eri around the other classes' stuff that they're setting up in the meantime."

"I can have a look for a recipe, Canary," offered Sato, who had just been conversing with Uraraka about where to float the bag of sugar to, and whether floating it was a wise idea at all. They were all envisioning sugar granules floating through the air...