Chapter 12: How It All Came Together

Midoriya wasn't usually one to feel much pride about himself – but yesterday had been the exception. He actually sung to someone. Present Mic didn't count – he always walked in part way through the song, so Midoriya didn't have to muster the courage to begin; all he had to do is not stop. With Shinso, it had been different – but Shinso, of all people, deserved it. For it was only because of him that Midoriya had been able to muster the courage to begin singing at all – only because of him that he found his Quirk.

Now, Midoriya had been thinking a lot about this, mainly because that was all he ever did – but why had he only discovered his Quirk now? It must have manifested when he was younger, like everyone else, but he never came across the right conditions for it to present itself. Then there was the extra joint in his little toe – convincing him that there was no point in searching for a Quirk anyway. His ability was a freak mutation. Perhaps he did inherit Quirklessness from his parents, but a separate mutation resulted in a brand-new Quirk – stronger than any normally inherited powers. If finding that power was as simple as singing a song – why hadn't he found it before? Surely everyone sings something at some point in their lives, including Midoriya.

That thought was what lead him to the discovery of another aspect of his Quirk; he called it: Euphoria Songs.

[As in, happiness songs?] questioned Shinso that Thursday afternoon as the two of them packed away their things at the end of the day, granted, that task took an awful lot longer than usual if they were trying to sign at the same time.

[Yeah! A song which gives me a weak ability – one that only makes other people happy! Or, I suppose I could include songs which grant any other type of emotion – but I feel like happiness is the most common] Midoriya explained.

[So, you think you never found your Quirk before because the only songs you've ever sung only grant a happiness power?]

[I think it's most likely... Like, Happy Birthday, for instance! Or, nearly any Christmas song]

[Or if you sung, for example, Let it Snow, when it's already snowing]

[Exactly! I'd have no idea my singing had anything to do with it – or other song abilities could be narrowed down to coincidences – or maybe I just didn't sing enough of some songs to activate my Quirk]

Shinso smiled, pausing his signing so he could finish packing his bag. Slinging it over his shoulder, he said, [I can't believe you have a Quirk]

[Me neither!] Midoriya signed in reply, bouncing to his feet as he also finished packing.

[And the radio station thing too] continued Shinso as they walked out of class 1-C, [I went and listened to all your shows. You've got a bit of a fanbase going on, you know that, right?]

Midoriya sighed audibly, [I know. We made a social media account for Canary last Tuesday and I already have so many followers... it's crazy...]

Shinso huffed, "The Sports Festival's going to be interesting, that's for sure."

Midoriya nodded frantically, insure whether that was a good thing or a bad thing.

"Why's it going to be interesting?" It was Uraraka, who had just joined the duo, alongside Iida, on their way down to the exit of the school.

"You'll see," was all Shinso said in reply.

As Uraraka tried desperately to convince Shinso to tell her what he meant, Midoriya's thoughts returned to the radio show. It was Thursday, so he was due at the station soon – but he still had homework to do. If he arrived a little earlier than usual, perhaps he could do it in the waiting room whilst...