Chapter 30: When the Canary Stops Singing

Kouta crept forward.

He had been hiding back in the cave, his small body curled up against the hard stone; covering his ears as he heard the distant screams of the UA students outside.

But then – that screaming turned into singing.

And now it had stopped, Kouta stood before the sight of the villain who murdered his parents, lying at the feet of his saviours.

The girl's arm was all messed up – she had tears running down her cheeks.

The boy had just dropped a rock – tinted red from Muscular's blood, who he had supposedly just knocked out.

They risked so much – they didn't even have to come up here to find him! They could have run back to the lodge, like Mandalay had said. Yet, here they were, for him.

His heroes.

"Are you ok, Kouta?" the boy asked as soon as he saw him.

His name was Canary – Kouta had met him a few times now. He was persistent. But his voice was always so quiet, unsure and shaky – like he was scared to speak at all.

Now, as he held out his hand to Kouta, he seemed so much more confident. Like the pressure of the situation cracked and shattered that glass bubble around him – insecurities lost to the wind.

Kouta didn't take his hand.

He hugged him instead.

"Thank you..." he whispered, burying his face in Canary's shirt and trying not to cry. He did anyway.

"Owl – are you ok?" Canary asked after a moment, turning back to the girl – Owl. He sounded like he was trying not to cry too.

"I'm ok," she nodded, even though her arm was broken.

Canary stood up, rubbing his eyes. This time, Kouta took his outstretched hand.

"We should get back to camp – you're hurt," Canary said, gazing out over the burning forest. "If we continue down this way, we will hopefully avoid the gas. We don't have a third mask for Kouta."

"O-Ok," Owl sighed, clutching her arm. The purple of her jumper was darker around it.

Canary let Kouta climb up onto his back, and the two heroes hurried down the mountainside – as far away from Muscular as they could get, running through the trees back to the lodge.

Kouta wasn't sure what Canary meant about the gas – but luckily enough, they never came across any. But they heard the screams – distant wails of frightened students in the woods around them. Who knew what other villains were out there?

Eventually, Canary slowed to a halt, not far from home.

Owl had been slowing – her arm must have been really hurting her.

"Canary," Owl managed, gritting her teeth as she spoke, "That villain asked me something back there – I'm not sure if you heard it. He said he was looking for Bakugo. Do you know who that is?"

Lowering Kouta to the ground, Canary nodded wordlessly.

"That must be who they're here for – to capture or kill him," she realised. "I-I don't know why. But we have to warn someone."

"W-We need to get you back to the lodge first," Canary insisted. "Your arm is –"

"Midoriya? Jiro – is that you?"

They all turned to see that shaggy, long haired UA teacher – Kouta kept forgetting what he was called – hurrying into view.

"Mr Aizawa!" Owl sighed in relief – ah, that was his name.