Chapter 13: Trustworthy

I just want you all to know that I hate this site with a passion and the only reason I'm updating this on Wattpad again is to prove a point. This and other better stories by me are on Archive of Our Own.

___________________________________

Sure, Midoriya felt ready-ish for the Sports Festival.

His rising fame though?

...Not so much.

He heard people muttering about him on the train. Not him, of course – Canary. Having no idea that he was standing right behind them.

On his way to school, he often found himself walking alone up to the crossroads where Shinso would wait for him, or he would wait for Shinso – it was an unspoken (and unsigned) agreement they had made early into their friendship. It was rare that he'd bump into Iida, because he always arrived too early for Shinso, and thus too early for Midoriya. That meant, the only person he had the slightest chance in meeting at the train station, was Uraraka.

What he didn't expect, was for her to be waiting for his train to arrive, standing nervously on the platform as he stepped out.

"Hey, Midoriya!" she called out, hurrying over to him with a big smile stretching across her face.

He frowned and waved feebly in response as he began to walk out of the station with her.

"So, how are you today?" she asked, weaving expertly around people in the crowd.

Struggling to follow suit, Midoriya only gave her a thumbs up when they were free from the crowd of morning commuters.

"Good, good..." she replied.

They walked in silence for a while longer – which was nothing unusual.

It was only when they were a good distance from the train station, when the road they were walking along was all but empty, that Uraraka finally spoke what seemed to be on her mind all the while.

"I listened to the radio last night and I know it's you!" she exclaimed, her eyes clenched shut and her fists balled as she announced this.

Midoriya wasn't sure what to say. He clenched the strap of his backpack, biting the bottom of his lip as he looked down at his shoes.

"You... You have an incredible voice."

He slowly met her gaze, "You really think so?" he barely whispered.

Uraraka smiled in a sympathetic kind of way. She walked back over to him, linked her arm threw his and began to march him up the hill. "I'm your friend, Midori! And I'd never lie to you. Now come on, I'm dying to know! How did this happen?!"

"W-Well, um," he stuttered, still more than bewildered about her response. "I-I – well, I found my Q-Quirk."

"Oh yeah!" she exclaimed, taking her arm away from his so she could clap her hands in realisation. "Oh, my goshness – you're not Quirkless!"

Midoriya rubbed the back of his neck nervously. "N-No..."

"And it's to do with singing? What?!" she squealed, bouncing up and down. "That's sounds so cool!"

"U-Um, well – it's a little tricky to get my head a-around," he stammered.

"Everyone's Quirks have their difficulties!" insisted Uraraka. "I mean, I have to sleep with mittens so I don't float anything – Iida has to drink gallons of orange juice to get his engines working properly – there's a guy in my class called Kaminari, he has an electric Quirk which short circuits his brain if he uses too much voltage at once! Then there's – wait!"