Chapter 29: A Spontaneous Duet

Midoriya was trembling. He was holding the little piece of paper, containing the number of his partner, in his hand so tightly that it was about to rip. But that was mainly out of stress – he'd been paired up with Jiro, which he was rather happy about. What he wasn't so keen on, was this 'test of courage' idea.

Midoriya flinched at the slamming of a door – or at the very presence of some people. He was going to scare himself silly and pass out in the middle of the forest.

Jiro didn't look much happier. "Can we just fly to the midway point and back?" she quired as the group ahead of them eagerly trudged into the forest, where class B was waiting in the shadows.

"No cheating!" Pixie Bob yelled at them as she overheard their conversation.

"Worth a shot," Jiro groaned.

At least Midoriya had his attack bird, Siren, to protect him.

Shinso had gone into the forest first, smiling brilliantly as he braved the test of courage beside his 'raven friend', Tokoyami, who he hadn't spoken to until two minutes ago, but they already seemed to get along.

Todoroki had been stuck with Kacchan. They went into the woods next. Of course, no one but Shinso (and possibly Uraraka...) knew about the... adverse relationship between Midoriya and Kacchan. But everyone felt sorry enough for Todoroki anyway. He didn't seem so bothered though, when he wandered into the forest, his hands in his jacket pocket.

Midoriya had been wearing his own jacket – but the summer evening was surprisingly warm. Actually, that might have just been because he was shaking in fear... Either way – he'd been sure to take his phone out of his pocket and shove it into that of his shorts. But then Pixie Bob said he wasn't even allowed to use it as a torch!

Him and Jiro were doomed.

"I hate scary things," she voiced. "Why can't we opt out of this?"

"I don't like them either..." Midoriya moaned.

"Ok! Team four – you're next!" Mandalay called out, once Yaoyorozu and Aoyama had been gone for long enough.

Jiro grabbed onto Midoriya's shoulders and groaned sorrowfully as the two of them nervously hobbled forwards.

"Good luck, you guys!" Uraraka yelled after them, just after they stepped across the threshold of the woods. "I'm sure you'll be fine!"

"Don't say that!" Jiro snapped, letting go at Midoriya to turn around and glare at her for jinxing it.

"Come on, you two – you're holding us up!" Pixie Bob encouraged, waving a fake cat paw at them.

Nervously, Jiro gripped Midoriya's arm as they scurried into the forest, the trees soon blocking out the light of the lodge.

"O-Ok, here's the plan," Midoriya whispered, "We get through here as quickly and as quietly as possible –"

"Eek! What was that?!" Jiro suddenly jumped, her nails digging into Midoriya's arm.

Midoriya winced, "I-I didn't hear anything –"

"Ah – there it is again!" she started wailing and jumping up and down, "I don't like this – no – no – no!"

"I think – m-maybe you're just hearing a-animals in the forest?" Midoriya suggested – glancing around nervously.

Jiro was holding up her AUX plugs like a radar, flicking them around at the slightest sound – wind in the leaves – rodents in the undergrowth – birds in the trees.

...Whatever that was – rustling in the bushes.

Jiro had noticed it before Midoriya, and pointing at it with a shaking hand, tugging on Midoriya's arm and backing away. Then, all of a sudden –