Chapter 12

The clicking of claws on ice wakes Kinkajou from her sleep. She is so tired and her scales feel dull, she hasn't been able to properly do sun time since, well, Darkstalker had come back, she hasn't slept much either, but the sun time is what really grates on her scales.

Slowly the icy cave comes into focus around her. Walls of ice and snow that close in from all sides. She is resting on a polar bear fur rug in Cintre's cave. The room around her is littered with various odds and ends, rings of keys, icicles as long as a dragon's claw, several shelves are even packed end to end with scrolls.

When she had first come into the room she had checked the titles of a few of them, and their titles had been just as odd and interesting as the other oddities in the room. The Science of Ice Breath, one title had said, while the next over was A tale of Dragons and Diamonds. Science, fiction, and history all crowded for space on the shelves in an order that only the organizer knows. Moon would have loved it if she had been here, as opposed to still in the cell with Tsunami, but without the extra wristbands from the Gift of Diplomacy, they would freeze into icy popsicles.

"Kinkajou," Cintre calls, "Time for you to get up and rescue your friends."

Oh, right. Time for the epic plan that they had all come up with. Her brain quickly shifts into gear and she bounds out of bed.

"Well then, what are we waiting for? Let's go stage a prison escape," Kinkajou says as flashes of pink and gold light up her scales.

Their plan is simply, well mostly. Cintre distracts the guards while they fly as fast as possible and hope the guards don't catch them.

What makes their incredibly epic plan hard is that there is only one exit to the dungeon and it's guarded well. The dungeon itself is enchanted with the Gift of Confinement, the ice will never melt or be chipped away and there is always enough room for the prisoners, though Cintre says that the dungeon hasn't had to expand itself since the end of the war of sandwing succession.

The perfect plan, well, there are a few weak spots according to Moon. For example, the fly fast and hope the icewings can't catch them part. But they can totally do it, they are needed in Jade Mountain to save the day.

Cintre smiles distractedly, but a troubled look rests on her face.

"What's wrong?" Kinkajou asks worriedly.

"Nothing," Cintre says hurriedly.

That doesn't sound very convincing to her, so she asks, "Are you absolutely definitely sure? You certainly look like something is wrong."

"It's just... No, it's nothing."

But as KInkajou disappears through the door and Cintre trails behind her, the worried look doesn't fade, if anything the troubled look gets worse.

Cintre totally suspects something, and she, Kinkajou, the great epic hero, will find out. But she can wait, until it is time to pounce, like a giant orangutan. She can totally find out the information, she is the best at information gathering. Or I could just ask Moon, she thinks, but she still doesn't love the idea of using mind reading to spy on other dragons when she doesn't have to.

The door to the cell is still unlocked from last night, in case something happens to Cintre and they need to flee in an emergency. But that totally won't happen because they have an excellent plan and awesome allies.

Inside, both Tsunami and Moon are awake, watching the corridor. Moon's face looks as worried as Cintre's and the look is mirrored on Tsunami's face as well.

"Why is everyone looking like a dejected salamander? What information do you all have that I don't?" Kinkajou aks. It is so annoying how she is always the last person to know anything.