Chapter 19: May I ?

~Dabria Esmeray Marciano

The whole ride from my house to the ball was wrapped with awkward silence, Amara and Alex seemed stiff while me and drystan sneaked a few glances here and there and we'll look away we would have two pairs of eyes on us. Amara smirked at me and then went on with the shit she was doing on her phone.

The car ride wasn't long, it only took ten minutes to reach there. The valet opened my door as I stepped out, I glided my hand down my dress to make any uneven pattern even. When a large and so known palm came in my gaze, following the hand I reached it's owner's face as he gave me a small smile. Reaching out for his hand, he laced our fingers together giving it a little squeeze of assurance. Even he's the one who needs protection here he is giving me assurance that he's by my side.

I think my heart melted a little more.

I stared walking over the entrance, for the outer world it was a charity event and all the mafia leaders came in as a form of their legal business owners. Flashes splashed from every direction as we walked our way through the media that surrounded the entrance.

" Ms. Marciano who's this guy."

" Ms. Marciano is he your date."

" Mr. What's your name."

" Ms. Marciano is he your boyfriend."

" Ms. Marciano what's you say about your father holding resentment against you taking over their ancestral company."

Drystan squeezed my hand twice before we finally reached the area without any media. Muttering a silent curse I looked at drystan he was looking back at the area we just came from. " You okay?" I asked lightly touching his arm. He looked down at me and gave me a half smile. " Yeah I didn't know you people have to go through this much investigation to enter one fucking event." He said chuckling at last. I let out a relieved breath. " Yeah" it almost was soundless but he heard me. " Let's get inside." He nodded his head, he hooked his hand out for me take. Shaking my head I hooked my hand with his and we entered the large brown double door.

My mind went on alert mood as I scanned the room full of dangerous people laughing dacing and drinking like it was some kind of family gathering. My eyes stopped on the person sitting at the corner of the room, sipping his wiskey with a frown on his face accompanied by the one I would absolutely die for. My mother.

Amara and Alex came by my side, Alex stood beside drystan as Amara came to my left. " Take them for some drinks I'm gonna meet them and will be back to you guys in a few minutes." She nodded as she ushered the two men to follow her towards the drink section. Drystan looked back at me when he noticed I'm not by his side. He stopped but I shook my head once asking him to walk with them. His expression changed to somewhat sad as he gave me a nod and went on with them.

My shoulder straightened as I walked upto them. "mia ragazza" [my girl] mumma exclaimed as she enveloped me in one of the best hugs I could ever ask for. The comfort the protection I feel with the warmth of her hands around me, takes me back to little girl who was loved and cherished by her parents. " Maa, how are you doing." I asked  ignoring Marcel's presence knowing it will annoy the hell out of him when someone doesn't address his presence. " I'm doing good bambino, but you must visit soon I miss my girl." [Baby] she waved her hand as she held me by my arms. I smiled a little nodding my head. " I will Maa, soon." She nodded her head as father cleared his throat begging for the attention none of us were giving him.

" Father." I said in a stone cold voice giving him a single nod. He nodded his head while staring at me with his hard gaze. Maa must have senced the change in environment. " Ahh, bri you must try the snacks here they are really great." She rushed out knowing the air was only getting thicker with our intence gaze. Breaking away the gaze I looked at my mum and her failed attempt to cool down the thickness in the air. I gave her a small smile nodding my head I gave her a kiss on the cheek. Pulling back I looked at father a smirk settled on my face. " Take care of your leg father." Saying that his faces turned red as glared at him chucking down the rest of his drink.

I turned around and walked over to the drinks section. The three of them were sitting and drinking and were having a light conversation going on. " Hey." I said as I slidded on the stool beside drystan. There heads whipped towards me as Amara gave me a sloppy smile.

No shit, the look in her eyes and the smile on her face already tells me she's tipsy. " You know– she was stopped when a hiccup burst through her mouth– opps..., You know bri what happened yesterday." She giggled as she downed the I don't know glass of whisky. " I was sitting on this tall buildings, smoking a joint when I saw a man sitting on the edge of the railing. I went on and asked what happened to him and he said he has no one with him and he wanted to die." Another hiccup and she giggled like a small child. " And I said, you shouldn't kill yourself that's the worst way to die, and then he looked at me and like he had these tears in his eyes and then he said thank you. And he jumped over and stood a little away from the railing." She stopped mid sentence as if she was tired. " Then?" Drystan whispered as if we were having a very secret talk going gone. But each of us was all ears listening to every small details she was giving us.

She smiled and opened her eyes resting her face on her palm. " And then I said the best way to die is to be killed, so I pushed him off the top floor." All three of us choked on our drinks staring at her with wide eyes as she gave us a lazy smile.

This girl is one hell of a ride. She asked the bartender of a slice of lemon and stood up from her chair. " I'm gonna get this thing over. I'm spilling things I shouldn't be saying." Saying that she left the bar and walked towards the washroom. " I'm gonna go look after her." Alex said and rushed where arama went.

I was on my second glass of wine when drystan downed his third shot of vodka. He stood up and looked down at me. I raised my eyesbrow at him silently asking what the hell he was doing. His eyes went over the dance floor and then back to me.

" May I?"

My heart fluttered at his request to have a dance with me. It was just a dance but the zoo that went on in my stomach made a big deal out of it. Drinking the last of my wine I stood up taking his warm yet firm hand. He smiled down at me as we walking over the dance floor.

The night we met by lord Huron played while the lights grew dim and couples came forward with their better half and dates on the dance floor. Drystan wrapped his arm around my waist as I placed my arms on his shoulder. We weren't actually dancing we were just swaying with the beat of the song. He gently pulled me towards him as his thumb slid upward and downward on my back. A deep sound erupted from the base of his throat as he hummed to the tune of the song.

My hands slowly went up touching the base of his neck, my fingers ran across the small hairs on his neck. The world around was in a blur and in the moment it was just me and him. Just us.

My breathing grew odd as he leaned forward, coming close to my ears, his own breathing was uneven. He kissed lightly on my earlobe. " You know bri." He said I tilted my head a little so I saw him watching me from the corner of his eyes. " You Ms. Marciano has occupied a huge space in both  my mind and in my life."  He said his heartbeat was running like three hundred miles an hour as his eyes met mine. His eyes were soft, without any shield out to protect him from my bare grey eyes. It was raw, what he said, what he felt. I could feel them through his eyes. Like he wants me to see how sincere his feelings are.

I smiled, and it was a real smile, I didn't  remember after how long I smiled like this. My heart felt like it would burst out of my ribs and jump right into drystan. I didn't say anything because in that moment after seeing me smile he knew what he said meant so much to me. I took the space between us as I pressed my cheek against his chest, closing my eyes as I signed feeling his heart beat. It felt so good to be in arms of someone who cares for you. And maybe likes you?

__________________________________________