prologue

Hi, guys! I am welcoming you to this new story of mine. 97butterflyy requested it and I know it's been months ago but here it is. 😅 I admit I rarely make a story from a request but this one, I actually really wanted to publish it. I hope you guys will enjoy reading it 😁

💝

It is just another fine day in the small town of Vermont that afternoon for Chaeyoung to walk to her daughter's preschool to pick her up that Tuesday. Chaeyoung makes sure to smile to every single parents that she passed by as she walks up to the Bright Sky Preschool. Sometimes she greets a few familiar faces a 'g'day (good day)' as a friendly gesture towards them.

"G'day, Mrs Park. I'm glad you're here.", the preschool's teacher greeted Chaeyoung when she reached the gate of the preschool.

"G'day, Mrs Smith. Is there something wrong?", Chaeyoung can feel that something is off by how the elder woman is sighing in relief to see her.

"It's your sunshine. She's fighting with another kid.", Chaeyoung gasped before she asked where her daughter is right now.

The teacher, Clarisse Smith brought Chaeyoung inside and into the class where they heard the children's voices yelling to each other.

"You have a crush on that crybaby..."

"No, I don't!"

"Yes, you are.."

"Kiara?", Chaeyoung's voice managed to stop the argument of the two six years old children.

"Mummy!", the small girl with black bangs and doe eyes ran to Chaeyoung and hugged her legs tightly.

Chaeyoung got down to her daughter's level and gave a kiss on her cheeks before she saw the pout on her face forming, "Kiara, what's going on, honey?"

"That girl...she's bullying me...", Kiara pointed to the girl that ran away from the class while shouting for her mother that also just arrived.

"Oh...poor my baby. Tell me, where did she hurt you? Hm, here? Here?", Chaeyoung checked on Kiara's hands before the little girl huffed in annoyance.

"She didn't hurt my hands.", Kiara said.

Chaeyoung smiled, "Then, how did she bully you?"

"She said mean things to me.", Kiara complained.

"She said mean things to you? She talked bad about my sunshine?", Kiara nodded quietly to the question.

She pouted even more as Chaeyoung cupped her face.

"Kiara, honey...what did I say to you when people talk bad about you?", Chaeyoung asked her daughter.

She waited for an answer but Kiara stayed silent.

"My sunshine? Did you forget what I said to you?", she tried again as she knew Kiara actually remembers it.

She heard a little sigh from Kiara before she got a reply, "When others talk bad about us, let them be. Don't fight them, it's useless."

She smiled widely hearing Kiara's response. She knew her daughter is a smart girl. She has raised her daughter to be kind to others and she will always remind her daughter of being kind to everyone around them.

"That's my good girl. Remember, always be kind. Don't fight others for useless things. Now, let's go home, shall we?", Chaeyoung got up as she held Kiara's hand.

The six years old girl might be a little upset but Chaeyoung knew what can make her happy again.

"Kiara, do you want ice-cream?", she asked as they got out of the preschool.

The question literally turned Kiara's pouty face to a big smile.

"Two scoops, mummy?", she asked while showing a 'peace' sign to Chaeyoung.

Chaeyoung thought for a while before she nodded, "Two small scoops, deal."

From there, they walked to the nearest ice cream parlour and had one ice cream each. As they were enjoying their sweet frozen dessert, Chaeyoung kept watching her daughter who seemed to be still in a bad mood. Kiara is not talkative as she usually is. Chaeyoung feels concerned about it and so she tried to ask how much the verbal bullying affects her daughter in hope that she can help in any way possible.

"I'm not unhappy because what the girl said, mummy.", Kiara said after Chaeyoung asked what did the girl said to her back in the class.

"Then..why are you so quiet?", Chaeyoung felt curious of what Kiara was thinking if she is not sad about what happened.

"I'm thinking.."

Chaeyoung nodded, "What are you thinking about, honey?"

Kiara might be just six years old but she is mature for her age. People might say that six years old children are in a curious age to ask for anything and so does Kiara. She often asks a lot to Chaeyoung and Chaeyoung never has a hard time to answer any of them. She will always try her best to give the right answer for Kiara even though she is scared of one question that Kiara have not asked her yet.

And at this moment, she was wondering whether Kiara will ask her that dreadful question she has been praying to never hear from her child.

"Mummy?"

"Hm?"

"What is a crush?"

The question came out from Kiara's mouth made Chaeyoung blinked in silence.

"What is...a crush?", she repeated as she wanted to make sure she did not misheard it.

Kiara nodded.

"That girl said I have a crush on Park Chanwoo. What is that, mummy? Is it like I break my toys at home? I didn't get it, that's why I argued with her. I'm trying to tell her that I never break people. I cannot break people.", Chaeyoung suppressed her laugh as she listened to her child explaining herself.

It is true that crush means breaking something into pieces. Kiara understood it as that only. She did not know the other meaning the word can be.

"Mummy, why are you laughing?", Kiara pouted while looking at her mother.

"I'm sorry, honey. Okay, crush on someone...I'll tell you what it means, okay?", Chaeyoung said to Kiara and this...is how the story began.