birthday

"Kiara, are you ready?", Jungkook looked at her who was grinning at the cake they made together in the box.

"Yes, daddy. Let's go!", she said as she fixed her mini hoodie that Jungkook bought for her.

Then, she held Jungkook's left hand as he took the box of homemade cake in his right hand.

"Your mummy is going to scold me for letting you stay up this late, sweetheart.", he smiled as he looked at Kiara moving their holding hands back and forth as they walked out of the homestay together.

Kiara shook her head in response, "She will not scold you when she sees the cake."

The corner of Jungkook's mouth quirked up, "We'll see if she likes it or not."

💝

Chaeyoung was laughing at the story Jaehyun told her on the phone about his day at the hospital. Everytime the two of them could not see each other, they will make sure to call or leave a message before the day ends. Most of the times when they have a call, Jaehyun did not have much to say and preferred to be the listener instead.

But tonight, the roles changed and Chaeyoung realised why in the middle of the call. She remembered that it was because of today was February 10th, it will be her birthday when midnight comes. Jaehyun might be doing all the talks without ending to wait until the clock strikes 12. He did say that he wanted to be the first person to wish for her birthday last year.

After they stopped giggling at Jaehyun's story of him having to be the punching bag to his young patients who were fighting that afternoon, she heard him clearing his throat before excusing himself to have a drink for a moment.

"Babe, I think you've talked a lot tonight..", she commented.

"Mhm, yeah. You enjoy listening to it, right?", he replied.

Chaeyoung decided to tease him, "No, I'm not."

He faked a gasp, "Then, why were you laughing so much if you're not entertained with my story?"

She laughed softly at him, "Maybe I don't want to offend you."

He laughed back, "Are you telling me you're pitying me? My story's not that bad, the nurses were laughing too when they saw I got beaten by the kids."

Chaeyoung nodded before her phone vibrated near her ear, "Your story is so-so, babe. Not entertaining enough."

She was holding in her laughter as she heard Jaehyun began to speak in sulking tone to tell her how he was excited to tell her about his day. As he was speaking, the call was cut off in a sudden which made Chaeyoung wondered why. She tried to call his name but when she checked the screen, she saw that her phone is already dead.

"Ah, I forgot to charge it again..", she slapped her cheek lightly as she looked for her phone charger.

When she reached for it, she heard her doorbell rang.

"Who's that?", she whispered as she turned to see the wall clock. "At this hour?", the long needle almost strike 12.

The doorbell rang again.

"Is that Jaehyun? No, he can't be here..", she got up from her bed and checked her face on the mirror before going out of her bedroom.

The doorbell rang again but this time there was a rhythm that she recognised.

"Kiara?", she opened the door right away before her shocked face welcomed her daughter and Jungkook.

"Surpriseeee!!!", Kiara's voice was the loudest between the two of them.