crush

Flashback

When he is eating at the table with his group of friends, she will steal a glance at him from the secluded table at the corner of the cafeteria. When he is practicing with his track teammates, she will be at the grandstand just to see him practicing. When he is teasing his friends trying to learn in the library, she will take a peek through the book and smile at his little misdemeanor.

It has been a routine for Chaeyoung to see her crush from afar since she moved to the elite high school a year ago. She still remember the first day she met him last year. It was her first day of school and she bumped into him at the library. He was chased out of there after causing a scene while she was about to enter the library at that time.

She has never seen a handsome boy like him, let alone one with a strong arm that would hold her back firmly from falling to the ground. She was undeniably affected by their close proximity at that few seconds of event. She was speechless to the point that she could feel her heart beating loud as her crush ran away to save himself.

Since then, Chaeyoung always will look for a chance to see him no matter how far away they are until one day fate brought them together at one place.

Chaeyoung was out to the mall to find some items for her school project when she saw her crush running quickly down the escalator to get to the entrance. When he reached the ground floor, he stopped when it suddenly rain heavily outside. She watched him cursing and kicking the dustbin near the entrance. She realized that he was trying to catch the bus that heads to their high school. The next bus will only come in an hour or might be taking longer since the rain will cause vehicles to move slower on the road.

"My umbrella.", Chaeyoung looked at her light pink umbrella in her hand. "I should give it to him.", she said as she saw the chance to finally have a reason to talk with him.

She knew she needed to help him. If not, he will have to wait longer to go back to the dorm.

When she reached him, she stopped behind him with her hand froze in mid air as she hesitated to touch him. She began to regret walking towards him without thinking of what to say to him. She cannot say that she knew where he was heading to, that would make her look like a stalker than a secret admirer from afar. She cannot risk herself like that in front of him.

"Achoo!", his sneeze made her flinch as he turned around to cover his face.

She froze when the pair of eyes of her crush gazed at her.

"I'm sorry.", he said as he looked at her, probably thinking that he must have scared her a little with his sneezing earlier.

"Um- no, it's okay.", Chaeyoung replied while her hand extended to him showing her umbrella.

He looked at it before he looked at her back, "What are you doing?"

"You need an umbrella. To go to the bus stop there.", Chaeyoung pointed to the bus stop near the roadside.

He looked at her before he smiled, "How do you know I want to go there?"

Chaeyoung's mind went blank for a second. What could she answer him without making him feel suspicious of her?

"I do want to go there but maybe-"

"Daeshim Elite School.", Chaeyoung said as she realized the jacket he wore is the school jacket.

"What?"

Chaeyoung began to stutter, "Daeshim- I- I study there too."

"Oh, so you're going back too-"

Chaeyoung shook her head abruptly.

"No?", she could see him frowning, he must be getting confused or suspicious of her now.

"I don't stay at the dorm. You can borrow my umbrella.", Chaeyoung said while handing him her umbrella again.

"You stay outside?", he asked her as he touched the umbrella a little.

Chaeyoung nodded slowly, "I live nearby the school."

"I see so you don't take the same bus?", he asked her.

"No, I'm waiting...for my brother. At the subway. Then, we go home together.", she told him despite her heart feel like exploding anytime soon.

"Okay.."

"You can use it. I'm heading to the subway, it's underground and connected to the mall. I don't need it.", Chaeyoung spoke hurriedly in nervousness.

He nodded, "Thank you but how do-"

"Just put it above my locker. Class 12-A, locker number 24.", she cut him off before he could finish his question.

"Oh, we're in the same grade.", her crush pointed to himself and her at the revelation of her class.

"Um- y- yeah, we are.", Chaeyoung got shy after realizing what she did could possibly be bad in the future.

"I'm Jungkook. Jeon Jungkook from class 12-D.", he introduced himself as he extended his hand for a handshake with her.

Chaeyoung looked at his hand for a while before holding out her hand to shake it.

"I'm Chaeyoung. Park Chaeyoung.", she said to him.

"Park Chaeyoung? Oh...so you're the girl.", his reply startled her a little.

You're the girl, what girl? What was he saying about?

"You're that new girl that stole all the number one in Class A. Jaehyun always mentioned your name, new girl Chaeyoung stealing his first place in English subject.", Jungkook chuckled remembering how his basketball teammate, Jung Jaehyun whined about how he got second place since Chaeyoung came to the school.

"Uh...did he really say that? Is he angry at me because of that?", Chaeyoung asked, realizing why Jaehyun seemed to not like her when she was chosen to partner up with him in the English pair work a few weeks back.

"Don't mind him. Actually I like to see him like that. At least, he stops bragging his English with me.", he smiled as he told her that. "Oh, don't tell him that. It's our secret, okay?", he added as he put up his pinky to her.

Chaeyoung was hesitant to link it with her pinky finger. Did her crush just asked her to share a secret between them? She could die at that moment.

"Here.", Jungkook took her hand and linked her finger with his. "Don't tell Jaehyun.", he reminded her with a smile.

"O- okay. Um- I- I have to go. My brother will arrive soon.", Chaeyoung quickly pulled back her hand and pretended to check her watch.

"Ah, okay. Thank you for this. I'll make sure I return it just as good as you let me borrow it.", Jungkook said as he watched Chaeyoung taking steps back slowly from him. "12-A, locker 24, right?", he asked her.

She nodded.

"Okay, then I-", he stopped when Chaeyoung quickly turned around and left him before he is done talking to her. "See you at school maybe.", he said slowly as he watched her disappear from his sight.

Little did she know that from that moment on, Jungkook began to have his eyes on her too.

💝

How is the first chapter? 😬