safe and sound

Jungkook hated to see how Chaeyoung was walking out of the house with tears on her face. She did not look back at him even when they were waiting for the elevator together. He looked at how her hands were in her cardigan's pockets, and her head was low as if she was trying to hide it from him.

He wished he could hold those hands and make her look up at him right at that moment. He wanted to tell her that she was safe now with him and that she did not have to worry about anyone trying to hurt her again. He wished...but he was never brave enough to do all that he desired with her.

He cursed himself for being a coward even after being able to be the knight to a damsel in distress like her.

"Thank you.", her soft voice startled him.

He wondered if he cursed out loud or if she really just thanked him. His eyes slowly turned to look at her beside him and it seemed that she was still hiding her face from him. When the elevator is opened, he watched her walking out in the wrong direction from where he parked his car at.

"Chaeyoung!", he called to stop her. "The car's this way.", he pointed to his right.

Chaeyoung turned around and he took the lead with her following from behind. As they were walking, Jungkook suddenly felt a hand trying to slip through his arm before he stopped. He looked to his side and found Chaeyoung putting her arm around his before she looked up at him with a blank expression.

"Is the car here?", she asked him.

He blinked after realizing that she was no longer crying.

"Jungkook?", she shook his arm a little.

"Um..yeah. It's there.", he finally was able to speak again before they took a few more steps to reach his car.

During the car ride back to her apartment, both of them were quiet.

"Do you want anything before we reach your place?", he tried to ask as they were waiting for the traffic light to turn green.

"No.", she answered in short without turning to him.

She was looking outside while Jungkook looked at her a few times to make sure she was alright. When the light finally turned green, a car behind theirs honked at them, making Chaeyoung flinched in her seat while Jungkook just realized that he was not focused on the changing lights. He quickly began to drive to continue the quiet journey to Chaeyoung's apartment.

.
.
.

When they arrived, Jungkook followed Chaeyoung as they walked together to her apartment in silence. None of them spoke a word until they entered her apartment unit. Jungkook was going to excuse himself when she was walking to her bedroom but she turned around to look at him with fear visible on her face.

"Can you stay?", she asked him.

"You- you want me to stay?", he asked back, hoping that he did not hear her wrong.

"I'm worried if Jaehyun comes here looking for me.", she replied to him.

He realized that it could happen to her.

"Please..Jungkook.", she begged him softly.

"Sure, I- I'll just stay here. In your living room.", he stuttered as he sat down on the sofa he used to sleep when he first came with Jimin.

"You can stay in my room. Keep me company tonight.", Chaeyoung told him as she opened the door of her bedroom.

He looked at the opened door before their eyes met and he looked away almost immediately.

"Uh...I think I want to drink something. Can I make chamomile tea?", he asked as he looked at the kitchen as he stood up.

"Yeah, you can bring it into my room.", Chaeyoung replied.