second chance

As soon as they arrived at Little Love Bakehaus after that incident at the mall, Chaeyoung quickly ran inside to hide herself in the store room at the back of the bakery. Lisa was left behind to carry all the new stocks alone but she knew better to not disturb Chaeyoung at the moment. She may not know the whole story of Chaeyoung's life but she knew that Chaeyoung had ran away after she found out about her pregnancy. For the whole day, she kept quiet about what happened until it was time to close the bakery that night.

"Chaeyoung, you can go home first.", Lisa said as she overheard Chaeyoung's conversation with Hannah, her daughter's babysitter also her next door neighbour.

"I can't just leave you alone.", Chaeyoung replied.

"Kiara's babysitter had to run somewhere, you should run home to her, Kiara's mother.", Lisa directly showed that she knew about Hannah's sudden issue to leave early that night.

Chaeyoung looked at Lisa who was locking the drawers below the cash register. Lisa looked dejected with her, she knew it. For the whole day, she did small mistakes a few times just because her mind was disturbed by the incident in the morning. Lisa must be disappointed with her even if she did not say it at all.

"Lisa, I'm sorry.", she said as she approached the counter where Lisa was standing at.

Lisa looked up at her without saying anything.

"I know I messed up today.", she added as she put her hands on the table beside the counter.

"It's okay, I understand.", Lisa replied.

"No, you don't."

Lisa smiled a little, "I was there. I get it. You saw your brother after what? Five years?"

Chaeyoung sighed in defeat, she knew sooner or later she would have to tell everything to someone and, Lisa was the closest and trusted person in her life since she left everyone she knew six years ago.

"After six years actually. His name is Park Jimin. My brother.", she began.

Lisa rested her head on her hands, "I didn't ask."

Chaeyoung smiled at Lisa's attempt to not be too serious in this topic she brought up, "I still want to tell you."

Lisa nodded, "You know what? You can tell me later, now you should go home. It's late. Don't make the younger girl quit her work. It's not easy to find another babysitter, Chaeyoung."

Then, Lisa went to her and pushed her to go to the door before taking off the apron from her.

"Take my car. I'll tell Jisoo unnie to pick me up. Don't worry about me.", Lisa said as she put her car keys in Chaeyoung's palm.

"Okay. I'll see you tomorrow.", Chaeyoung replied before giving a sudden hug to Lisa.

A giggle left Lisa's mouth with Chaeyoung's sudden act.

"Chaeyoung, what are you doing? So sudden."

Chaeyoung smiled as she broke the hug, "I'm happy because I have such an understanding best friend like you."

Lisa smiled back, "Stop. You better go home now."

Chaeyoung nodded, "See you tomorrow, Lisa."

Lisa responded with a hearty hand wave as she watched Chaeyoung got into her car.

"Drive safe, twinsie!", she did not forget to add as she watched Chaeyoung laughing in the car.

💝

Jungkook swore if he could go back to that night, he would have done it and find out what actually happened to the both of them. He knew he was stupid to tell her to leave just like that and he did not even acknowledge her at school after the incident. She too, was avoiding him at all costs like how she did before when he tried to befriend her.

A week after the incident, he tried to meet her and text her but none of the efforts succeed. Chaeyoung was getting further and further away from him while he was a coward who did not try enough to fix their friendship. They grew apart and became strangers for the whole month up to the final examination week that she went absent for. He lose his chance to fix anything they had then so he swore to himself to not let go of this second chance that was presented to him now.

"Where are you going, Chaeyoung?", he looked from his car that was parked at the parking area opposite the bakery he saw her a few days ago.

She seemed to be leaving the bakery early today. He decided to follow her as he saw her entering her car. After spending four days of watching her, he had seen her mostly at the bakery and at the apartment nearby. He also learnt that she was not working on Saturday while her friend that he saw her with took a turn to be off on Sunday. He wondered why today, on Wednesday she was leaving as early as at a quarter past 2 in the afternoon.

He made sure his car was at a distant that not looked obvious to be following behind hers. He kept his eyes on her car as he was maintaining a good gap between his car and two other cars in front of his. When he saw her making a turn to a neighbourhood, he slowed down his car as he seemed to find out where she was going.

He parked at the roadside as he watched carefully.

Chaeyoung's car stopped behind a few other vehicles that were waiting for their turn. Jungkook saw a bus and three cars in front of hers. When the bus moved, he saw what the cars were waiting for and where they were.

He gulped as he kept watching until it was Chaeyoung's turn to stop in front of the preschool. He knew what he was going to see and he thought he was prepared for it. He had been waiting for the day to be able to watch it with his own eyes.

When Chaeyoung got out of the car, she crouched down to lift up her daughter after she came running to her direction. She kissed both Kiara's cheeks before putting her down on the ground and guided her to the passenger seat. After making sure that Kiara is seated safely, she walked to the driver's seat and thanked the teacher who was taking care of the children there before going inside her car back.

After she drove away, Jungkook could not bring himself to keep following her. His tears were streaming down as he tried to keep in mind how his child looked like. She had short black hair and she looked very happy to see her mother. He could not see much from the location he was but he was sure that the little girl was his.

There was no way Chaeyoung had another man or she just picked up her friend's daughter. He just needed to find the right time to show up and apologise to her before he could fix what they had. He needed this second chance to be perfect for him to build up the relationship between him and her again despite them ending it badly six years ago.

He wanted her to be back in his life again. He wanted to be there for her and their child. He wanted to change their lives before it was too late for them but first, he needed to find courage to show up and he needed to be braver to face Jimin and their parents when they found the truth about him and Chaeyoung.