the present

The Present

"What is a crush?"

Hm, Chaeyoung smiled when she recalled the question her six years old daughter asked her that afternoon. She was afraid that Kiara would ask her something else but it turned out that it was just a curiosity about what the word crush meant other than breaking a thing into pieces.

Because of the question, Chaeyoung told her daughter about a story she never told anyone before. She told her about what a crush is and how it began but she never mentioned that it was her own story.

She told Kiara how a girl who just moved to a new town had fell for a boy in her new school. How she first met him at the library, how she kept stealing glances at him, how she finally found the courage to talk with him. Chaeyoung told Kiara all the cute parts but she kept the bad chapters to herself.

As her mind was reminded of all the good and bad times she had years ago, she did not realized that her tears were dropping until Kiara called her.

"Mummy?", the girl that was supposed to be sleeping spoke as she looked up to her mother. "Mummy, why are you crying?", she asked as she wiped Chaeyoung's tears that dropped to her cheek.

Chaeyoung was a bit shocked to see Kiara woke up from her sleep. She was snuggling her head in Chaeyoung's elbow before she fell asleep as usual. Chaeyoung quickly said sorry that she disturbed Kiara's sleep before wiping her warm tears herself.

"Mummy, are you okay?", Kiara asked as Chaeyoung rubbed her cheeks that her tears dropped on earlier.

"I'm okay, honey. It's just dust. I'm sorry I woke you up.", she said as she kissed Kiara's forehead to assure her that she is fine.

Kiara looked into Chaeyoung's eyes before she blew on them causing Chaeyoung to chuckle at her action.

"I felt it on my cheek. It was your warm tears, mummy.", the little girl said.

Chaeyoung tried to smile and by each seconds passed, the smile grew wider as she watched her daughter looking back at her with a smile formed on her face too.

"This is how I like to see you, mummy. Always smiling.", Kiara said as she poked her mother's chubby cheek with a small giggle.

Chaeyoung nodded before she caught Kiara's hand and kissed it, "I will smile more for you."

Kiara pulled her hand before showing her pinky finger, "Promise me."

Chaeyoung smiled at her gesture, "I promise you, my sunshine."

"Pinky promise?"

Chaeyoung laughed while intertwining their pinky fingers together, "Pinky promise, honey."

"Yayyy"

"Yayyy, now let's go to sleep. It's late, you got school and I got groceries to do with Aunt Lisa early morning tomorrow."

💝

After sending Kiara to her preschool that morning, Chaeyoung and Lisa headed to the big city of Vermont which took half an hour from their bakery to buy new stocks of the ingredients at the usual mall.

When they were on their way back to the parking lot, they had a small bickering of blaming each other for not remembering where they parked the car in that seven-storey mall.

"I told you it's the 3rd floor."

"No, it was 4th floor."

"There's a 4th floor parking space?"

"Ugh, the mall has 7 floors. Surely the parking space have 7 floors too."

"It doesn't matter. I told you to take a picture of the location, Lisa but look what you did? You did not take a picture."

"Oh, I'm the driver and I'm the photographer all at once?"

"Why not? You love taking photographs."

"Uh, yeah-"

"Oww!", a man's voice interrupted the two friends that were busy pushing their trolley while searching for their car at the 3rd floor parking space.

"Rosie...look at what you did...", Lisa said in a whisper.

Chaeyoung signalled her to keep quiet while she walked over to confront the man she hit with the trolley, "Um, sir. I'm so sorry I didn't see you. It's all my friend's fault, if she did what I told her when we..."

She continued blabbering as she pointed at Lisa and tried to explain her situation to the man in front of her. Lisa was looking at her in disbelief while the man who had a white cap and grey sunglasses looked at her intently while processing if he was seeing the right thing.

"...so if you want to scold someone, please scold her, sir.", she said as she pulled Lisa's arm to stand beside her.

"Sir, did you hear what I said?", she asked the man who seemed to stand like a statue in front of her.

"Chaeyoung.."

"Sorry?", Chaeyoung replied in Korean as she had not heard her Korean name being called for a long time.

When the man took off his sunglasses, she was taken aback by the face she was seeing behind it. The man was lost at words while Chaeyoung was not sure how to react to seeing him there. It had been six long years...

After a moment of silence between them witnessed by Lisa, the man sighed as he removed his cap to show himself better to Chaeyoung.

"Chaengie..all these years...you're here?", he could not contain his feelings anymore as he pulled Chaeyoung into a tight, familiar hug he had missed for so long.

"O- oppa...", that was the only word came out from her mouth.

"Oppa???", Lisa mouthed while looking at her friend in shock and in confusion.

"Chaeyoung..."

"Oppa...", she broke the hug first as she needed to ask him something important. "Who...who are you here with, oppa?", she asked him as they both had tears in their eyes.

Jimin smiled with happy tears. He was happy to see his little sister again.

"I'm with my friend.", he answered after Chaeyoung repeated her question.

"You're with your friend...too?", he asked her back.

She was nodding when someone called for Jimin from behind her.

"Hyung, you're really missing out. You should take the free drink they promoted. It's delicious, hyung.", she went silent as the new person walked up to Jimin and put his arm around Jimin's shoulders.

"Ah, Jungkook. You're here. I just mentioned you earlier.", Jimin replied as he wiped his tears away.

The man named Jungkook chuckled in return, "Why? I was gone only for five minutes, did you miss me already?"

Jimin faked a disgusted look to him, "Ew, no! Not in front of my sister, bro."

"Your sister?", Jungkook looked at his front where Jimin was looking at too.

His eyes met hers. After six long years...

"Your...sister...", he repeated quietly as he looked away.

"Yeah. Chaeyoung-"

"Oppa, I'm sorry I got to go.", Chaeyoung cut Jimin off while pulling Lisa's hand to walk away from there.

"What? Chaengie!"

"Don't! Follow me.", she warned him before she ran away, leaving Lisa behind pushing the trolley after bowing a few times apologizing on her behalf.