Chapter 29:

3rd Pov.

'As expected of the Black Bulls' captain, he effortlessly deflected the enemy boss' attacks and even managed to counterattack...' Monica thinks as she stands in awe of what had happened moments before.

"Oh yeah right! There's no way I could do that!" Asta yells at his captain and he gets his head grabbed in response. "Gyaaaaah!"

"Huh? Who do you think you're talkin' to?" Yami asks as he exhales cigarette smoke menacingly. "If I say 'do it', you do it. You'll turn into a big man that way."

Monica sweatdrops at his reasoning, 'Does he really expect someone to just miraculously perform that technique immediately?' She eyes the enemy through her peripheral vision to see Licht activate a Healing spell. "He should've been an attack-type, but he can use Recovery Magic to completely heal his wounds?!"

"I haven't seen many of 'em but, I hear guys who're loved by mana are able to use all sorts of magic types. Attack types that use recovery magic are rare..." Yami looks to Asta and says, "Nevermind that. Just get ready."

'He was serious?!' "No, listen, I really can't do that in a middle of a fight! And I don't have any magic power anyway." Asta tries to reason with his captain, but to no avail.

"I'm not telling you to do the last one, idiot. I mean do the thing before that." Yami swings his sword arm to deflect a light projectile without looking away from his subordinates making Asta and Monica flinch in reaction. "There's no helping it. I'll explain it to you once, so pay me my 500 yuls later."

"So you're gonna charge me?!" Asta cries.

Ignoring his subordinate's woes, Yami begins his lesson on ki, the life energy that all living beings release. By reading his opponent's ki, Yami was able to predict Licht's moves and act accordingly, and by combining ki with his swordsmanship, magic, and muscle, the captain was able to acquire a magic-swordsman style of fighting.

"Amazing! You're able to become such a strong melee fighter by doing all that?!" Monica's spirit peeks out of O'Hare to look at Yami with sparkly eyes making the captain almost spit out his cig.

"The hell?! Don't just pop out like that!" The man scolds.

"You're using all that muscle, is that why your neck is so thick, captain?" Asta asks innocently.

"Yours ain't much different, brat!" Yami smacks the boy over the head.

"GYAAAAH!"

Monica giggles nervously as she became aware of their current situation, "Uh, Captain Yami, shouldn't we cut down on the talking and focus on -- Huh?" The ghost feels something approach behind Asta and sees a suspicious portal open. "An enemy attack?!" Using her Hareraiser spell, Monica deflects a ball of magic that shoots out of the portal.

"Miz Monica?" Asta gasps when he realizes that his senior had protected him from the attack.

Meanwhile, Vartos clicks his tongue in annoyance that his sneak attack was blocked.

"Nice reflexes, rabbit!" Yami whistles, impressed at Monica's quick thinking. "I guess since you don't have a physical body, you naturally sense ki in your current form, though it isn't as perfect..."

Monica looks at the man in confusion, "Is that so? I never noticed."

Asta looks at the witch with amazement, "That's so cool, Miz Monica!"

Yami points to the two and then says, "I have an idea! You two, practice using ki on those two henchmen. Asta, you take the scrawny eyes, the rabbit will take the candyman."