10: I Did Miss You

''Friends don't treat me like you do''

It was early December and the air felt cool against Rose's skin as she walked around the forest

It was early December and the air felt cool against Rose's skin as she walked around the forest. A gust of wind passed by her, causing her to pull her jacket tighter around her body.

The third week of the second trimester had just started and today, professor Harvey had given them the assignment to gather different herbs and plants from the forest. The aim of the assignment was to get more familiar with the forest, its plants and its other inhabitants. For the last two weeks they had only talked about it in class, but now it was time to put that knowledge to action.

While Rose moved along the paths, she noticed for the first time how strong the magic was surrounding her. At first, Rose hadn't been too excited that the assignment had to be carried out individually, but at the moment, she was enjoying the peace that the soft sounds, produced by the forest, brought her. Besides, she wasn't alone. All around her was life.

As a fire fairy, Rose had never really been drawn to the forest. To Rose, the forest was green and alive and she kind of felt like her magic was a danger to it. Just like it was when she had been practicing magic with Bloom. But this time, she felt different. Professor Harvey had told her to open up her magic, to let it communicate and it seemed to work. It no longer felt like she was an intruder or an enemy as the forest seemed to guide her to the right spots by clearing pathways and revealing the hiding spots of different plants. It was like the forest could sense what she was looking for.

The herbs and plants they had to collect had different purposes. Some could be used to make potions, some could be used for their healing properties and others could be used for spells. Only one plant was left on Rose's list, and she was sure that she had spotted it near the barrier the last time she was there with Aisha and Bloom. However, in class, they had been told that the forest is never exactly the same. It's always growing, always changing, causing the paths to change with it. It would explain why Rose didn't recognize anything, though on the other hand, her sense of direction had never been great.

She decided to keep following the path, believing that it would eventually guide her to the edge of the barrier. As Rose followed a bend, she was surprised to be met with a large body of water. Remembering that the plant could also be found near water, she decided to start her search there.

-

'You're late.', headmaster Silva remarked in an annoyed voice as Riven reached the edge of the forest.

'Yes, I know, I got held up by-.', Riven started but headmaster Silva quickly cut him off.

'I'm not interested in the why. I will see you this afternoon for some extra sparring rounds, but for now, you can join the other specialists in the forest. The first-year fairies have been given the assignment to gather plants and you, along with a few other specialists, will be patrolling the forest in case something might go wrong.'