28: No Way In Hell

''I got sinnin' on my mind''

"It's true, isn't it?!" Rose fumed as she burst through the door to Headmistress Dowling's office.

Her face was flushed from the vibrant, red anger cursing through her body. She hadn't even checked with Dowling's assistant to see if she was free to meet with her. She had flown right past him and had barged in without even thinking about it twice.

It would have been quite awkward if the headmistress wasn't even in her office, but luckily, that wasn't the case. She was in there and she didn't even look surprised when a seething Rose was all of a sudden standing in the middle of her office, yelling and waving around her arms.

"How could you have kept this from me?" Rose raved. "I had the right to know and—"

"Miss Lindor!" Headmistress Dowling interrupted her hot-tempered rant. "Might I suggest you take a deep breath and calm down so we can continue this conversation in a more decent manner."

The sternness in her voice and the disapproving look on her face were enough for Rose to come to her senses and a wave of shame washed over her.

It wasn't like her to lash out like this. To do something this impulsive. To yell at someone who held this much authority. This was the headmistress for goodness' sake. What was she thinking? Well, she wasn't. That much was obvious. But how had it come to this?

-

One hour ago
"I mean, I'm serious," Riven started as they rounded the corner into the fairy hall. "We're just that good. Alfea really needs to up her game if she wants to keep challenging us."

A little laugh escaped Rose's lips as she took in his words. They had just finished the last exam of the third trimester, the teamwork simulation, and they had passed with flying colours. However, it definitely hadn't been as easy as Riven was now making it out to be.

"That sounds rather smug coming from someone who almost caused us to fail at the first try as his swords got knocked out of his hands when he tried to show off."

"Okay, well, maybe I was a little over-enthusiastic, but what can I say? Your boyfriend is just as good at hand-to-hand combat as he is at a sword fight. Either way, easy kill."

"I'd call it cocky."

"Bold."

"Conceited."

"Daring."

Just as Rose opened her mouth to lash back with another insult, Riven shut her up by pressing his lips against hers. The familiar foggy feeling took over her brain and her heart made a funny little leap. Just like it always did when Riven showed her any type of affection.

"We passed. That's all that matters, isn't it?" He questioned as he eventually drew back.

One of his hands was still cupping her cheek while the other had moved down two twine their fingers together. She didn't want him to let go, but she knew he had to head back to the specialist's training area right after finishing their exam.

"Yeah, I think you're right. Besides, it would be no fun for me to win another argument. It's turning into a habit."

"What was that about being smug? Conceited?"

A smile was tugging at the corners of his mouth as he pressed another soft kiss to her lips.

"Your awful behaviour is rubbing off on me," Rose giggled as he let go of her.

"I have yet to decide how I feel about that," he retorted sourly though his eyes shimmered with amusement. "I'll text you after practice."

Rose just gave him a nod and after watching him make his way down the hall, she turned to enter her dorm.