27: Does It Still Hurt?

"Oh, I'm a mess right now, inside out"

The two weeks after the attack of the Shadow Creature had passed in a blur of exhaustion and discomfort

Physically, Rose was doing well. She could no longer feel the stinging of the wounds and the frequent visits to the infirmary had paid off as the claw marks on her arms had healed completely.

The bite marks on her shoulder though had left thin little white scars, but they were barely visible. The skin there was a little sensitive, but Professor Harvey had assured her that would vanish too eventually, so she didn't complain.

Mentally however, she was still struggling a bit. The Shadow Creature haunted her dreams, preventing her from getting a good night's rest. The nightmares often caused her to wake up in a cold sweat, panic thrumming through her body and her limbs shaking.

After Stella and Rose had managed to defeat the monster, a team of specialists had arrived. It wasn't a coincidence; headmistress Dowling had picked up on traces of dark magic just outside the barrier and had set them the task to investigate.

The traces of dark magic were probably left by the person who'd altered the course of their teleportation, and who'd summoned the monster, but they hadn't managed to catch the culprit.

As Riven was amongst the group of specialists that had been sent out, he was the one who'd found Rose lying wounded on the ground. She could vaguely remember hearing his voice and the feeling of his warm embrace as he scooped her up in his arms, but most of it was just a blur.

He'd brought her to the infirmary and had stayed the whole night through as Rose had to be monitored closely because of her injuries. She had been glad to wake up to a familiar face, and he'd informed her about everything that had happened after she'd passed out.

Rose had been sad to hear they hadn't captured the person responsible, but that sadness was overpowered by the news that Stella was okay. Unlike Rose, she hadn't suffered any injuries.

After getting her up to speed, Riven had urged her to rest, and that's what she did. For two weeks. But today, she'd decided she'd had enough of resting.

A birthday party was being planned for Ethan, and Rose had managed to convince her friends to let her help with the decorations. Riven on the other hand, didn't come around so easily.

"Why are you so stubborn?" he complained for the tenth time as Rose turned the knob to the classroom that was now functioning as party venue.

"I'm not being stubborn," Rose argued back. She put the bag with garlands and balloons she was carrying down on a large table standing in the back of the room. "I'm doing fine, and I want to help."

She could hear an exasperated sigh leave his lips, and her mouth curved into a smile as she felt his arms wrapping around her from behind.

"I know you're having trouble sleeping," he said softly as he gingerly placed a kiss on her injured shoulder. "I'm just worried about you."