18: Is That All You've Got?

''The Game's over, but now, I'm on a new level'' 

All the first-year fairies had gathered at the specialist's training area as that was where the final exam of the second trimester would take place

All the first-year fairies had gathered at the specialist's training area as that was where the final exam of the second trimester would take place. Beatrix had been right; they were supposed to battle one another and as if that wasn't bad enough, the exam was held on the exact same day of the gala because, you know, who wouldn't want to show up bruised and battered to an event like that.

Rose was stood amongst all the other students and was currently trying to suppress the urge to throw up as that was how nervous the upcoming exam made her. She was talking to Musa, who was trying to get her to calm down, as Rose noticed Professor Green walking over to them.

'Can I have a word with you, miss Lindor?', the professor asked as she reached her.

Professor Green had been a soothing presence in Rose's life for the last few weeks. Her training had been going well and ever since the trip they went on together, it felt like they had bonded on a personal level. It wasn't just about fighting, magic and school, there was also room for her feelings and her general well-being. So, when the professor came over, Rose was actually relieved to see her face. She quickly nodded her head before they moved away from the crowd.

'Is everything okay?', Rose asked hesitantly as she studied the expression on Professor Green's face, but she didn't give anything away.

'Yes, of course, everything is fine. I just wanted to remind you to believe in yourself. I know you have not been looking forward to this exam, but I just know you're ready. If you can remember that too, you will be fine.', the professor said as she reassuringly put a hand on Rose's arm.

'Thank you.', Rose breathed out. The pep talk couldn't have come at a better time, and she felt a bit less tense, however, it didn't last long as the professor continued.

'Having said that, there is something else you need to know. You have been progressing very well, which of course, I'm proud of but for the exam, you will be paired with a fairy that equals your level of progression. I don't mean to scare you, I just want you to be prepared.', the professor explained.

The information caused Rose's heartbeat to speed up. Of course, this was scaring her. She was already scared out of her mind and now it was even worse. She sent the professor a weak smile and the latter knew her well enough to know what was going through her mind.

'Don't give me that look. You can't afford to doubt yourself during this exam. Be confident and if you're not, then fake it.', Professor Green said in a stern voice, but Rose also noticed a hint of amusement.

'Right, yes, confident.', Rose nodded, trying her best to sound convincing.

The professor squeezed her arm one last time before they walked back to join the other students as professor Palladium was about to start his instructions.