23: You Can Stay Here

''Tell me if you need a loving hand to help you fall asleep tonight'' 

'Could you please just go sit down?', Stella complained, clearly annoyed

'Could you please just go sit down?', Stella complained, clearly annoyed. 'Your nervousness is contagious and it's not a good look on me.'

At that, Rose let out a groan before flopping down onto the couch. She'd been pacing around the living room for like half an hour now, but she couldn't help herself. After Musa had left for her date, Rose was left with her gloomy thoughts about Riven's wellbeing.

'I'm sorry.', Rose mumbled as she buried her head in her hands. 'I just haven't heard back from Riven yet and it's stressing me out.'

She heard Stella sigh before she felt the couch dipping next to her. 'I know it is.', she started as she put a hand on Rose's shoulder as a sign of support. 'But driving yourself crazy by imagining all the terrible things that could've happened is not helping anyone. Besides, they're specialists. They're just doing their jobs and I'm sure they'll be fine.'

Rose tried to send Stella a smile, but she knew for sure it was a weak one. 'Thanks, Stel.'

'Have you heard anything from Bloom? Maybe she's been in contact with Sky.', Stella asked.

'No, she hasn't heard anything either.', Rose sighed as her fingers started to pick the couch apart as a result of her restlessness.

'Well, how about if we go grab some dinner at the cafeteria?', Stella suggested as she grabbed Rose's hand to get her to leave the couch alone. 'You could use something to distract you and you also need to eat something.'

Rose was glad for Stella's presence, and she had a point. 'Yeah, that's a good idea. Let's go do that.'

Rose put on her shoes before following Stella out the door and over to the cafeteria. A bit like expected, the sight and smell of food made her nauseous in her current state, but she tried to get some of it down her throat anyway.

As a lot of students were having dinner at the cafeteria at this time, it was very noisy, students chatting and laughing amongst one another, but somehow Rose picked up on the footsteps out in the hallway. They sounded rushed as they neared.

She watched as a group of armoured specialists entered the cafeteria and she immediately spotted Sky who was walking in front of the others, as if he was leading them.

Her eyes desperately scanned around for Riven but her heart sank a little as she didn't see him. The unnerving and nagging feeling that had settled in her stomach earlier seemed to intensify and she could feel it grow into panic as she took in their appearances. They were all battered and bruised, cuts covering their faces and clothes.

As anxiety took over her senses, she shot up out of her seat, but other than that she just stood there. She felt as if she was frozen, unable to move, her brain short-circuiting.