20: You Almost Burned Me!

''If you cross her, then you cross me''

'What are we going to do now?', Lexie yelled, distress clear in her voice.

Lexie was the first-year specialist Rose was paired with for the simulations this trimester and things were not going well.

'Stay calm.', Rose emphasized again for the tenth time this session as she scanned the area around them.

The simulations for the third trimester were focused on specialist/fairy teamwork and each team had to successfully complete ten levels. Rose and Lexie were still on the first level and if that doesn't sound bad enough yet, a week had passed by already without any progress.

The first level was set in a maze and teams were supposed to find the exit while ghouls, small creatures with fangs and claws, would try to attack them. Being first level monsters, they weren't strong at all, in fact, one good blow caused them to explode. The problem, however, was that there were many of them and once they managed to encircle and touch one team member, the simulation ended, meaning failure.

'Eyes and ears open and, please, just hold on to your sword this time.', Rose added as she kept her eyes focused on the ghouls that were lurking nearby.

She couldn't stop the sigh from escaping her lips after she finished the sentence and she felt slightly bad for struggling to stay patient with Lexie. She wasn't the worst specialist, though she definitely wasn't the best either. Rose didn't know what it was, but Lexie just kept messing up by making stupid, unnecessary, mistakes like losing her grip on her sword, running off without communication or trying to take all of the ghouls on by herself.

'Are you accusing me of something, Rose?', Lexie sneered as she brushed her long blonde hair away from her face and put a hand on her hip. The annoyance in her voice was clear and she wasn't done talking yet. 'Cause if so, maybe you should take a long hard look in the mirror first. At least I'm the one trying something, instead of just showing up late time and time again. Every time the ghouls attack, you just stand there, watching, doing nothing until it's too late or, even worse, I've taken out a dozen of them already before you finally decide to show up. Rumour has it you're one of the fastest flying fairies at Alfea but I guess it's just that, a rumour...'

Lexie just kept spitting insults at her and Rose tried her hardest to stay calm. The reason she was always 'late' was because Lexie didn't communicate, and she gave her no space to use her magic at all. It would just be so easy for her to use a wave of fire to wash all the ghouls away but then Lexie would just get washed away in the process too as she was always getting in her way. Besides, the assignment was about teamwork.

Rose bit her lip, trying to refrain from saying something she would regret afterwards but as she rolled her eyes after another insult, she spotted the ghouls moving out of the corner of her eye.

'Okay, Lexie, I get it, but—', Rose started trying to get her attention, but she just cut her off.

'No, you don't get it! Fairies always think they're better than us specialiasts...', Lexie continued as she turned to her, but Rose zoned out of their conversation as the ghouls creeped up behind Lexie.

She channelled her magic and formed two firebolts in her hands, taking two ghouls out just as they leaped to attack Lexie.

'You idiot, you almost burned me!', Lexie shrieked as she quickly turned around to face the ghouls.

Rose couldn't help but roll her eyes again and decided to ignore her comment. 'Just get in position!', she yelled back as she got up in the air to get a better angle, but it was no use. The ghouls just kept coming and Lexie couldn't get her sword out in time. It was just a matter of seconds before the little creatures reached her and the simulation ended again.