22: He's Bad News

''That heart is so cold''

It was Monday morning and the fourth week of the third trimester had just started. Rose was presently sitting at a table in the cafeteria, having breakfast with Aisha and Bloom. They were discussing their progress in the simulations as that was their first class of the day.

'So, I saw you talking to Lexie yesterday. Seems like you two are getting along much better.', Aisha remarked before she dug into her cereal.

'Yes, ever since we're not holding each other back during simulations anymore, we are.', Rose smiled.

About a week ago, Silva had informed her that it would be better if Lexie and her both got different partners for the simulations as they were not doing well together, and Rose was glad about it. Lexie had become a lot more friendly towards her and it didn't hurt that she now got to spend more time with Riven as he was her new team member.

'I know it sounds stupid, but I feel a little bad about it. It kind of feels like I've stolen your partner.', Rose added as she remembered that Aisha had gotten a different team member as well now that she was paired with Riven.

'You really don't have to, Rose. My new partner, even though it pains me to admit it, may not be as skilled as Riven but he is definitely a lot nicer. Besides, it's not your fault. I'm pretty sure Riven is behind getting Silva to change duos.', Aisha said.

Rose let out a laugh at the first part of Aisha's remark but the other half about Riven being the cause of the change up in teams surprised her.

'What makes you think that?', Rose questioned as she turned to look at Aisha.

'Two weeks ago, I saw him observing you and Lexie. He didn't look too pleased and after that he stormed over to Silva. Looked like a heated discussion.', Aisha revealed. 'I think that's when he expressed his dissatisfaction about the teams and next thing you know, teams have been changed up.'

It made Rose think. It sounded like something Riven would do but he hadn't told her about it. However, before she could respond, a flushed looking Musa approached their table.

'Have you guys heard?', Musa asked in a high-pitched voice, like she was really excited about something.

'Have we heard what?', Bloom responded with a confused yet amused expression on her face.

'Don't tell me you guys don't know about it yet.', Musa let out in disbelief before she took a seat at the table and lowered her voice, trying to sound mysterious. 'There's a rumour going around that huge spiders are hiding just outside the barrier and that they're trying to get in at night.'

At that, Rose gulped. She knew exactly what spiders Musa was talking about, though she had spotted only one last semester.

'Okay...', Bloom trailed off. 'And you're excited about this, why?'

Rose couldn't follow that either. This didn't exactly seem to be something to be this elated about.

'Uhm hello.', Musa started as she waved her arms around like it was obvious. 'Finally something is happening around here. I was starting to get bored. We should totally go check it out!'

'If you're talking about the supposed creatures prowling out in the forest, then I have to disappoint you. It's just a rumour.', Sky interjected as he had arrived at their table and took a seat next to Bloom.

Rose couldn't help but narrow her eyes as she pondered over what Sky was saying. Either he was lying, or he really didn't know, but Rose had seen one of those creatures herself. She knew they were out there. Not wanting to contribute to the rumours and afraid Musa would actually do something dangerous as going out to investigate, she decided to keep her mouth shut about it.