26: We're The Winx

"To feel alive you've got to take the blows"

Walking along the path leading from the fairy dormitories to the garden, Rose had to use her hand to shield her eyes from the morning sun shining through the leaves of the trees.

It was a Saturday in early April and the weather was nice. While March had had a lot of rainy days, the sombre grey sky had now given way to a brilliant blue one and the sunlight warmed her skin as she made her way over to meet her roommates.

Cheerful chatter and laughter filled her ears as she reached the picknick table Musa, Terra and Bloom were already sat at, and it was obvious that spring, a time of renewal, had lifted the moods of most students.

"There she is!" Bloom called out as she laid eyes on Rose. "One down, two to go."

"What has gotten you so excited that you demanded us to meet up at 09:00 am on a weekend day?" Rose asked as she took a seat at the table.

She noticed the knowing looks exchanged between Terra and Bloom, grins spread on both of their faces, but neither one of them gave her an explanation. Musa, on the other hand, looked just as puzzled as Rose.

"Just wait until we're all here," Bloom said as her hands fumbled around in her bag to pull out her sketchbook.

Fortunately, it didn't take long for Stella and Aisha to arrive too, and Terra cleared her throat as if she was about to give a speech.

"So, as you know, I've come to love you all. I'm just really glad that we're roommates and I think our friendship should be sealed by a little something extra."

Though her words were touching, they were also a bit confusing, and Rose's eyes darted over to Bloom, silently pleading her to elaborate.

"Yes, and now that Professor Palladium has informed us about the new assignment for the fourth trimester, asking us to form teams and to sign up, Terra and I have come up with a name for our group."

Expectant gazes of all the other roommates followed Bloom's movements as she opened her sketchbook and held it up in the air so everyone could get a good look at it, a proud smile curving her lips up.

'Winx," Stella read out loud, her words full of disbelief and something that equalled annoyance. "You've called me out of bed just to tell me that our group name for the new assignment will be 'Winx' ?!"

Her voice had raised towards the end of the sentence and her hands flew up, waving around in frustration while the others burst out in laughter. Terra and Bloom, however, didn't look as amused.

"Well, yes. And to tell you all that we appreciate you," Terra added uncomfortably as she shifted in her seat, eyes scanning the faces of the other girls to see if they shared Stella's outlook on their announcement.

"Winx," Rose repeated as well. The word sounded strange coming out of her mouth, but she had to admit, there was a nice ring to it. "I like it."

"See!" Bloom practically shouted. "At least someone appreciates the effort we've made."

Her facial features were overtaken by a sour look and a fresh wave of giggles erupted from the other girls again.

"Okay, you're right," Musa said as she composed herself, but it was obvious she had to stifle her laughs. "It's really cool that you guys took the time to come up with a group name, and I have to add, I'm glad to have you all as my roommates as well."

A collective "Awhh" was released by the others and the sceptical looks on their faces gave way to soft smiles.

"So, from now on, we're the Winx," Terra announced cheerily as she got up and grabbed hold of Bloom's arm. "Let's go inform Professor Palladium."